The easy, homemade chocolate sponge cake recipe for a soft cake 8 inch/20 cm in diameter by 5 cm in height or for a higher cake 6 inch/ 15 cm in diameter.
- 6 Eggs
- 120 g Sugar (white powdered)
- 75 g Flour
- 75 g Cornstarck
- 30 g Cocoa powder (unswetened)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 338°F / 170°C and line a 8 inh / 20 cm diameter round cake pan.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, place the eggs and sugar and beat with a whisk for about 5 minutes, until the mixture triples in volume.
- Then sift the dry ingredients together into the egg and sugar mixture.
- Immediately mix with a soft spatula, gently mixing from the outside inwards to incorporate the dry ingredients without dropping the preparation. (Be careful because dry ingredients often remain at the bottom of the vat).
- Pour your cake batter into your pan and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Do not open the oven before the first 35 minutes, then check the baking with a cake tester or the blade of a knife, if the cake still feels too soft, continue baking for another 10 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes before removing it from the mould and allowing it to cool completely on a cake rack.
- Cut your cake with a sponge cake lyre preferably when it is cold.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: cake, Dessert
- Cuisine: french
- Calories: 148
- Sugar: 12
- Sodium: 43
- Fat: 3
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 27
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 98
Keywords: chocolate cake, chocolate genoise, chocolate sponge cake