The chocolate galette des rois, a quick and easy recipe to enjoy the Epiphany, composed of a easy puff pastry recpe and a homemade delicious chocolate almond cream.
The Galette des rois
The galette des rois, a traditional French dessert made on the occasion of the Epiphany day, composed of a puff pastry and a creamy almond filling, the Frangipane.
For this version of the chocolate galette des rois, I wanted the galette to be simple and very quick, that's why it is made with a quick puff pastry recipe and for the filling a simple but always delicious chocolate almond cream.
The Easy puff pastry recipe
This dessert is made with a homemade easy puff pastry recipe so quick to get this crispy dough, so simple but so delicious and perfect for this recipe of galette des rois.
Materials and ingredients for this recipe
To make the easy puff pastry recipe and the homemade chocolate almond cream, you will need these ingredients:
And for the material part, here is my list of utensils to make a success of this recipe:
- Baking tray
- An electric mixer
- A stand mixer
- A good rolling pin
- A baker's blade or a sugarcraft knife
- Baking paper or silicone baking mats
- 10 inch Pastry ring to cut a round cake
- Pastry brush
How to make the Chocolate galette des rois
Make the easy puff pastry recipe
- Begin by placing all the cold ingredients in the bowl of your stand mixer equipped with the dough hook.
- Knead the dough at medium speed for 2 minutes, just long enough for the dough to blend well and form a dough. (you can still see the cold pieces of butter in the dough)
- Then transfer the dough to a floured work surface.
- And with your hands form a small rectangular dough.
- Finally, using a rolling pin roll out the dough lengthwise to form a large rectangle about 15 inch long.
- And proceed to the first simple turn by folding the dough in 3, first fold the top edge towards the middle of the dough, then close the whole thing with the bottom edge.
- turn the dough a quarter turn to the right, roll the dough down again and make a simple turn.
- And start again again until you have made a total of 4 turns.
- Cover with cling film and chill for 1 hour.
Make the chocolate almond cream
- First place the soft butter in a container with the powdered sugar and beat with an electric mixer.
- Then add the almond meal and whisk again.
- Then add the eggs and the melted dark chocolate and mix again until a smooth almond cream is obtained.
- Finish by covering the dough with cling film and chill until ready to use.
Assembly of the galette des rois
- Start by cutting the quick puff pastry in 2.
- And place the first piece on a floured work surface and roll out with a rolling pin to form a large square 3 mm thick.
- Do the same for the two pieces of puff pastry.
- Then place the puff pastry spread on baking paper or a silicone baking mat on a baking tray.
- And fill a pastry bag with chocolate almond cream.
- Then fill the center of the puff pastry leaving a 2 inch border.
- Then with a pastry brush, moisten the edges with water.
- Then cover with the remaining second puff pastry and seal the edges by pressing lightly with your fingers.
- Finally cut out your cake with the pastry ring.
Score the top of the galette des rois
- Gently turn the chocolate galette des rois over and apply a layer of egg yolk gilding with a pastry brush.
- Using a special baker's blade for bread or a sugarcraft knife, score the top of your galette with the pattern of your choice.
Baking the galette
- Cook the galette des rois in a preheated oven for the time indicated in the recipe sheet.
- And at the end of the cooking, sprinkle with powdered sugar your galette and put it back in the oven for 5 min at 464°F/240°C to give it a nice golden and shiny finish.
How to store a galette des rois
The Chocolate Kings cake can be kept at room temperature for up to 3 days, to give it back some freshness, you can put it in the oven or in the microwave.
Other recipes for galette des rois
Chocolate galette des rois video
Chocolate galette des rois
Quick puff pastry
- 250 g Flour
- 200 g butter - cut into pieces and very cold
- 5 g salt
- 100 ml water - very cold
Chocolate almond cream
- 100 g butter - softened
- 100 g almond meal
- 70 g Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100 g Dark chocolate - melted
Quikc puff pastry
- Begin by placing the very cold water, flour, salt and butter cut into pieces and very cold in your stand mixer.
- Mix with the dough hook for about 2-3 minutes at medium speed.
- Then with the hands join the dough to form a ball, the butter should still be visible in the dough.
- Place the dough on a floured worktop and form a rectangular dough piece.
- Roll out with a rolling pin over 15 inch / 30-40 cm and form a simple turn (fold the dough in 3).
- Turn a quarter to the right and make a simple turn again.
- Repeat the previous step, in the end you will have made 4 simple turns.
- Cover with cling film and if possible let it rest for 1 hour in the fridge before using it.
Chocolate almond cream
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or in a bain marie.
- Place the chopped butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer for a few moments.
- Then incorporate the almond meal and mix again.
- Then add the eggs and the melted chocolate and mix until a smooth homogeneous cream is obtained.
Assembly of the galette des rois
- Take the quick puff pastry out of the fridge and cut it in half.
- On a floured work surface, spread the dough into a large square about 3 mm thick.
- Do the same for the remaining second piece of puff pastry.
- Place the puff pastry spread on a baking tray covered with baking paper.
- Fill the center of the dough with the chocolate almond cream. (use a pastry bag)
- Then using a pastry brush and water, moisten the edges.
- Then cover with the second square of puff pastry and seal the edges by pressing with your fingers.
- Cut out your cake with a 10 inch/ 25 cm diameter pastry ring.
- Gently turn the galette des rois over and apply a layer of egg yolk gilding with a pastry brush.
- Then score the top of the galette with a baker's blade or a knife.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 356°F/ 180°C for about 45 minutes.