How to make the chocolate galette des rois, a quick and easy recipe to enjoy on Epiphany day! A French dessert made of a quick rough puff pastry ready in 10 minutes and a simple chocolate almond cream (easy frangipane).
This delicious chocolate galette des rois is perfect for an alternative to the French traditional frangipane galette des rois which is usually made during the Epiphany day and throughout the month of January.
As in my Nutella stuffed galette des rois version, it is made with a quick rough puff pastry ready in 10 minutes and a very simple filling of almond cream (also know as the easy frangipane) with chocolate that also goes perfectly with fruits as in this version of chocolate pear galette des rois.
Composition of this dessert
- Puff pastry: Unlike the classic puff pastry recipe or this inverted puff pastry which takes a long time to prepare, this is a quick rough puff pastry which does not require any resting time. All the ingredients are mixed together and then a simple folding technique is followed which gives a very crispy and flaky pastry.
- Almond cream with chocolate: In the traditional recipe we use the authentic frangipane cream which is simply the combination of the pastry cream and the almond filling cream and here we just simply add melted chocolate to it.
How to make the chocolate galette des rois
Rough puff pastry
- Prepare the quick puff pastry by mixing together all the ingredients, butter, flour, salt and water until you get a ball of dough with visible pieces of butter.
- Then proceed immediately to fold the dough by making 4 simple turns (folding in 3).
Tip: Place the chopped butter and water in the freezer for 15 minutes before making the recipe.
Chocolate almond filling cream
- Place all ingredients in a bowl, softened butter, sugar, almond meal, eggs and melted chocolate.
- And use an electric mixer to mix for about 2 minutes until you have a smooth cream.
Tip: Use softened butter and eggs at room temperature to make a smooth mixture.
- Roll out the puff pastry with a rolling pin to 3 mm and cut out 2 large disks with a pastry ring or large plate.
- Place the first disk on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and fill the inside with the chocolate almond cream, leaving a 5 cm border.
- Moisten the edges with a pastry brush and water.
- Cover with the second disk of puff pastry and seal the edges with your hands.
- Apply a layer of egg wash to the top and score with a knife.
Tip: Place the galette in the freezer for 15 minutes to prevent the butter from escaping during cooking and to keep its round shape.
- Preheat oven to 356°F / 180°C (see recipe card).
- Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes until it has a nice golden color.
- Let it cool down a bit before serving it.
Other chocolate dessert recipes
- Chocolate mousse pie
- Chocolate layer cake
- Chocolate mousse dessert
- Kinder cake
- Salted caramel chocolate tart
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print