Recipe for chocolate galette des rois, a quick puff pastry and a chocolate almond cream (for a 10 inch/ 25 cm galette, 10 - 12 servings).
Quick puff pastry
- 250 g Flour
- 200 g butter (cut into pieces and very cold)
- 5 g salt
- 100 ml water (iced)
Chocolate almond cream
- 100 g butter (softened)
- 100 g almond meal
- 70 g Sugar
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 100 g Chocolate (semi-sweet)
Quikc puff pastry
- Begin by placing the very cold water, flour, salt and butter cut into pieces and very cold in your stand mixer.
- Mix with the dough hook for about 2-3 minutes at medium speed.
- Then with the hands join the dough to form a ball, the butter should still be visible in the dough.
- Place the dough on a floured worktop and form a rectangular dough piece.
- Roll out with a rolling pin over 15 inch / 30-40 cm and form a simple turn (fold the dough in 3).
- Turn a quarter to the right and make a simple turn again.
- Repeat the previous step, in the end you will have made 4 simple turns.
- Cover with cling film and if possible let it rest for 1 hour in the fridge before using it.
Chocolate almond cream
- Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave or in a bain marie.
- Place the chopped butter and sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer for a few moments.
- Then incorporate the almond meal and mix again.
- Then add the eggs and the melted chocolate and mix until a smooth homogeneous cream is obtained.
- Take the quick puff pastry out of the fridge and cut it in half.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of about 3 mm.
- Cut out 2 large disks with a pastry ring or a large plate.
- Place the puff pastry on a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
- Fill the center of the dough with the chocolate almond cream. (use a pastry bag)
- Then using a pastry brush and water, moisten the edges.
- Then cover with the second square of puff pastry and seal the edges by pressing with your fingers.
- Cut out your cake with a 10 inch/ 25 cm diameter pastry ring.
- Gently turn the galette des rois over and apply a layer of egg yolk gilding with a pastry brush.
- Then score the top of the galette with a baker's blade or a knife.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 356°F/ 180°C for about 45 minutes.
For a golden and shiny crust
After baking, sprinkle the galette des rois with powdered sugar and return to the oven for 5 minutes at 464°F / 240°C.
The chocolate galette des rois can be kept at room temperature for up to 3 days, to give it a little freshness, you can put it in the oven or microwave.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: french
- Calories: 377
- Sugar: 11
- Sodium: 353
- Fat: 28
- Saturated Fat: 15
- Carbohydrates: 29
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 81
Keywords: chocolate almond cream, chocolate galette des rois, crème galette des rois, homemade puff pastry