Learn how to make mini French galettes des Rois (king cake) with frangipane, featuring homemade puff pastry that's perfectly buttery, light, and flaky, along with an easy almond cream filling.
These mini galettes des Rois (French king cakes) are a reimagined version of the traditional French galette des Rois, perfect for enjoying without overindulging. Ideal for a festive moment or to offer a variety of choices to your guests, they bring a touch of originality to each bite.
These mini galettes feature homemade puff pastry filled with a sweet almond mixture. Add your personal touch with fresh fruits, chocolate, or Nutella to make them unique. Each bite is a little celebration for those who love sweet treats!
Why you'll love this recipe
You need these ingredients to make these individual king cakes:
- Puff pastry: Approx. 250 g of homemade puff pastry, or you can try inverted puff pastry, quick rough puff pastry or 2 store-bought puff pastries.
- Almond cream: An easy almond cream with just butter, sugar, eggs, almonds and vanilla or other flavoring such as orange blossom, rum or almond extract.
How to make Mini French Galette des Rois
Here are some quick visual instructions. Don't forget that full instructions with exact ingredients can be found in the main recipe card below!
Step 1: Prepare the homemade puff pastry following my detailed recipe and roll out on a lightly floured work surface to a thickness of about 3 mm.
Step 2: Using a cookie cutter or small bowl, cut out mini circles (12) and place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
Step 3: Prepare the almond cream by mixing together all the ingredients in a large bowl with an electric mixer: softened butter, powdered sugar, eggs, almond powder and your choice of flavoring (vanilla, rhum, blossom water, almond extract).
Step 4: Fill the inside of the mini puff pastry circles with the almond cream mixture and add your optional beans(fève) and treats (raspberries, chocolate chips, dark chocolate, Nutella etc).
Step 6: Moisten the edges with a brush and water and close the galette by placing a second circle of dough, pinching lightly to weld the edges together.
Step 7: Turn the mini galettes over and brush on a layer of egg wash, then score the top with a knife to decorate the pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C and bake the mini galettes for around 30-45 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving with fresh fruit or just a little powdered sugar.
- Fruit: Fresh or frozen, such as raspberries, blueberries, apples, pears, etc.
- Chocolate: Almond cream flavored with cocoa or dark chocolate, or chocolate chips or chunks placed directly inside the galettes.
- Jam: Or fruit puree such as apple compote, raspberry puree, blueberry puree, lemon curd, praline paste, pistachio paste, etc.
Tips for this recipe
Room temperature: Store your mini king cakes at room temperature under a tea towel or in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat your king cakes in a microwave oven to restore their freshness.
In the freezer: You can freeze them for up to 3 months, when they are completely cooled, placed in preservation bags.
Variations & Substitutions
More King Cake Recipes
I hope you love these Mini French almond galettes. If you make it, be sure to leave a comment and a rating so I know how you liked it. Happy Baking!Print