Recipe of the chocolate pear galette des rois with an inverted puff pastry, with a crispy flaky texture and light in the mouth, a chocolate almond filling cream and melting pears.
Every new year begins with the season of the "galette des rois" made on the occasion of the Epiphany day and this even during the whole month of January in France.
And if this year you want to change from the traditional recipe of the Frangipane galette des rois. Then this chocolate and pear galette des rois will surprise you with its perfect and tasty composition.
The perfect combination of chocolate almond filling, melting pears and its incredibly light and crispy puff pastry. As in my apple galette des rois recipe, the pears bring so much sweetness and melt-in-the-mouth texture to this dessert.
A perfect composition
As you can see on the pictures, the inverted puff pastry used here is a high quality puff pastry, incomparable to other recipes such as the classic puff pastry, the rough easy puff pastry version or the ready-made commercial one.
It is certainly a bit technical and requires a lot of preparation time but the result is just amazing. It is light and so crispy that it is now my favorite recipe for the galette!
For the filling, it's more of a simple almond filling cream with melted chocolate like in my chocolate galette des rois recipe. And this chocolate cream goes perfectly with the melting seasonal pears that really don't need to be cooked beforehand.
Tip: To make the puff pastry more quickly, let it rest in the freezer for 30 minutes between folds.
How to make the chocolate pear galette des rois
- Puff pastry: Follow the recipe for inverted puff pastry, classic puff pastry or rough quick puff pastry. (you can also use a commercial puff pastry dough)
- Chocolate almond filling cream: Mix together all the ingredients, the butter, powdered sugar, almond meal, eggs and melted chocolate with an electric mixer until you have a homogeneous preparation.
Tip: Replace the chocolate almond filling cream with a frangipane.
How to assemble
- Cut out 2 discs of puff pastry using a large 20 inch / 25 cm plate or tart ring.
- Fill the center with chocolate cream using a pastry bag to apply an even puff, leaving a 5 cm border.
- Place pear pieces in the center.
- Moisten edges with water and pastry brush.
- Cover with the second disc of dough and seal the edges with your fingers.
- Score the top with a knife in the pattern of your choice.
- Apply a layer of egg wash with a brush on top.
Tip: Place the galette in the freezer for 15 minutes before baking, so that it keeps its shape.
- Preheat oven to 356°F / 180°C.
- Bake the galette for about 45 minutes until it is golden brown.
- Let it cool down a little before serving it a little warm.
Tip: For a shiny crust, apply a second layer of egg wash just before baking.
Other recipes with pears
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print