How to make the frangipane cream recipe! A creamy, light and rich cream with the good taste of almonds. It is easy to make and perfect for filling the galette des rois.
The frangipane is an almond mixture that is found in the composition of the traditional French galette des rois, made on January at the occasion of the Epiphany day. It is a very creamy filling composed of 2 different preparations, almond filling cream and a pastry cream, which gives a very rich and light filling with a wonderful flavour of almonds.
Many recipes are called frangipane cake or frangipane tart, but in reality they are only made of a simple almond filling cream. The real frangipane is mostly used to fill the galette des rois recipe made with puff pastry dough.
Composition of this cream
Two different preparations make up this cream, the mixture of almond cream, which is a recipe widely used in pastry making around the world, especially to fill the bottoms of tarts or in cakes recipes with apples or pears. And also a pastry cream, which is usually used to fill choux pastry, mille-feuille or Paris-Brest.
Tip: to make a homemade frangipane cream you need ⅔ almond filling cream + ⅓ pastry cream.
How to make frangipane
- Place all ingredients in a bowl, cream butter, powdered sugar, almond meal and eggs and beat at medium speed until smooth.
Tip: All your ingredients must be at room temperature to obtain a smooth and homogeneous cream.
- Bring the milk to a boil with the vanilla bean split and scraped.
- Meanwhile, place the egg yolks, sugar and cornstarch in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Remove the vanilla bean from the milk and pour it into the container containing the egg yolks while whisking.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and heat over medium heat until you have a thick custard.
- Pour the cream into a clean casserole dish, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until cool.
Tip: As soon as the pastry cream starts to boil, continue cooking for another minute.
Making the frangipane cream
- Place the almond filling cream and the pastry cream in a bowl and beat with an electric whisk for about 1-2 minutes until creamy and smooth.
- Use immediately or strain on contact and store in the refrigerator.
Storage: In the fridge for up to 2 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
You will also like
- Inverted puff pastry
- Rustic pear tart with almonds
- Apple Puff Pastry Tart
- Strawberry tart
- Strawberry galette recipe
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print