Homemade frangipane is an easy, light and super creamy almond recipe, perfect to fill a pie but especially to garnish the French galette des rois.
What is Frangipane?
Frangipane is a basic pastry preparation, a recipe for a creamy almond cream used to garnish cakes but especially known in the composition of the French galette des rois with frangipane during the Epiphany.
A homemade frangipane recipe
Homemade frangipane is simple to prepare, but above all it is much better when it is homemade, creamier, lighter and less sweet.
And it's composed of ⅔ almond cream, a basic recipe very well known in French pastry making and ⅓ pastry cream, usually used to cream puff.
Materials and ingredients to make this recipe
Also as mentioned above, frangipane is a mixture of an almond cream and a pastry cream and these 2 recipes are made with simple ingredients that we all have in our kitchen:
- Powdered sugar
- Almond meal
- Flour or cornflour
- Vanilla bean or vanilla powder or liquid vanilla extract
For the equipment, no need to be super equipped like a pro baker, if you have these utensils you can make this recipe:
In which recipes to use frangipane :
- In a galette des rois, such as the French galette des rois or the apple French galette des rois.
- In a pie crust, like in the rustic pear almond tart.
- In a soft cake with fruits like apple, pears or raspberry.
How to make homemade frangipane
Preparation of the almond cream
- Start by beating the soft butter with an electric mixer.
- Then add the almond meal and sugar and mix again.
- Finish by adding the eggs and mix again until a smooth, homogeneous cream is obtained.
- Add a flavouring of your choice such as rum flavouring or bitter almond extract.
- Cover with cling film and chill your preparation.
Preparation of the pastry cream
- First, place the milk and the vanilla bean split in two and scraped in a saucepan and bring to the boil, then let it infuse for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and beat with a whisk for about 2 minutes.
- Then stir in the flour and mix again.
- Then pour the milk (remove the vanilla bean first) into the mixture and beat with a whisk.
- Then put everything back into the saucepan over medium heat and while stirring constantly with a hand whisk bring the pastry cream to the boil.
- And at the first boil, continue to cook the cream for another minute.
- Then transfer to a small rectangular dish, cover with cling film and place in the fridge until completely cooled.
Preparation of the frangipane cream
- Start by placing the almond cream in a container and beat with an electric mixer.
- Then incorporate the cold pastry cream and mix for a good minute until a smooth, creamy frangipane cream is obtained.
- Use the cream immediately or keep it in the fridge.
How to store frangipane
Keep homemade frangipane cream covered with cling film in the fridge, as it contains fragile ingredients such as eggs and milk, it must be used quickly within 48 hours.
Other recipes with frangipane
- Galette des rois à la frangipane
- 100 g Butter - soft
- 100 g Almond meal
- 100 g Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 250 ml Milk
- ½ vanilla bean
- 2 eggs yolk
- 20 g sugar
- 22 g flour
- In a container place the soft butter and whisk it into an ointment.
- Add the almond meal and sugar and mix again.
- Then add the eggs and mix until you obtain a smooth and homogeneous almond cream.
- Cover with cling film and store in the fridge.
- Place the milk with the scraped vanilla bean in a saucepan and bring to the boil, then let it infuse for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile whisk the yolks with the sugar for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add the flour and mix again.
- Then pour in the milk with the vanilla bean removed and whisk.
- Put everything back into the saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil while stirring constantly with the whisk.
- At the first boil, continue cooking for another minute.
- Transfer the cream to a rectangular dish and cover with cling film.
- Place in the fridge until the pastry cream has completely cooled.
- Place the almond cream in a large container and beat with an electric mixer for a good 1 minute.
- Then stir in the cold pastry cream and mix for another minute.
- Your frangipane cream is ready to use immediately or keep it in the fridge for up to 48 hours.