A quick and easy rustic tart recipe with this strawberry galette. Composed of an almond cream (frangipane), a strawberry compote, cooked strawberries and pistachios. A delicious and tasty express dessert to share with your family!
Feel like making a quick and easy strawberry tart for a family dessert? But you don't really want to go through the trouble of making a long, technical dessert.
Then try this new style of rustic tart and make it like a galette that's easy and super quick to prepare.
The rustic tart also called galette recipe is becoming more and more popular because it is simple and quick to make, absolutely delicious and served with vanilla ice cream, that's what makes it so popular.
A simple composition with only a base of pie crust and a filling of cooked fruit. The most famous is certainly the kapple rustic tart, but it can be made with any season fruit, such as pears, blueberries or as here strawberry.
It is called rustic (old-fashioned) because it requires almost no utensils, neither dish nor pie ring. A super easy preparation, we spread the dough then we pause the filling and we fold the edges and voila there is not more simple!
Easy and quick strawberry tart
With the difference of the classic strawberry tart, here strawberries are cooked. So if that puts you off, believe me the strawberries remain tasty and sweet even after cooking.
And there's nothing to stop you from adding fresh strawberries once it's cooled.
This tart is composed of a sweet pastry crust in the bottom of the tart, an almond cream better known as frangipane, a strawberry compote, fresh strawberries and some crushed pistachios.
I made here 3 small tarts to share with 2 or to eat alone ;-), but the quantities are for a strawberry tart of 22-25 cm diameter approximately.
Useful tools to make this strawberry pie
- Baking sheet for baking
- A rolling pin to roll out the dough
For the base of the galette I made a sweet shortcrust pastry very simple and quick to prepare. It is composed of flour that you can replace by a wholemeal flour, confectioner's sugar, soft butter and a bit of almond meal, the whole bound with an egg..
This is a basic French pastry cream filling, better known as frangipane, and is widely used to garnish fruit tarts. Prepared with a ratio of equal ingredients, almond podure, powdered sugar, butter and an egg.
The strawberry compote is optional but it brings an even tastier texture and accentuates the taste of the strawberries. It is simply made of strawberries and sugar.
For decoration and taste you can sprinkle the galette with pistachios or other nuts. Rustic tart are often served with a little vanilla ice cream and eaten warm or cold.
How to make the strawberry galette recipe
Preparation of the shortcrust
- Place the dry ingredients, flour, confectioner's sugar, almond meal and se in a bowl.
- Stir in the softened butter and sand with your hands to incorporate it into the dry ingredients.
- Add the egg and mix until you have a smooth dough.
- Cover with cling film and place in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
Almond cream (Frangipane)
- Put all the ingredients in a container
- Mix with a whisk until you obtain a homogeneous cream
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge.
- Place the frozen strawberries and sugar in a saucepan and heat over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and mashed potato with a fork to puree the strawberries.
- Let the strawberry compote cool.
Assembly of the rustic tart
- Take the sweet dough out of the fridge (divide it into 3 for small tarts) and roll it out on baking paper to a thickness of 3 - 4 mm.
- Transfer the dough on a baking sheet.
- Spread a layer of almond cream, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Add a layer of strawberry compote to the almond cream.
- Place strawberries cut in half all over the surface (except for the edges of the pastry)
- Fold the edges over the filling.
- Sprinkle cane sugar all over the rustic pie
Baking the tart
- Preheat the oven to 338°F / 170°C.
- Bake the tart in the oven for approximately 30 - 40 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Let the strawberry rustic tart cool completely and chill until ready to serve.
How to store the strawberry galette
The rustic strawberry galette can be kept in the refrigerator and should be consumed within 2-3 days.
Other tarts recipes
Don't forget to tag me @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make my strawberry galette recipe and add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog 😉
- 200 g flour
- 125 g soft butter
- 50 g confectioner's sugar
- 50 g almond meal
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
Almond cream (frangipane)
- 50 g sugar
- 50 g soft butter
- 50 g almond meal
- 1 egg
- 200 g frozen strawberries
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 250 g fresh strawberries
- broken pistachios
Preparation of the sweet dough:
- In a container, mix the butter, then add the dry ingredients, sand with your hands for 1 minute, then add the egg, mix until you get a ball of dough.
- Then wrap and place in the chill for 1 hour.
Preparation of the almond cream:
- In a bowl, place all the ingredients, mix then reserve in the fridge.
Preparation of the strawberry compote:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, place the strawberries and the tablespoon of sugar, let reduce to a compote for 10 minutes, then with a fork mash the preparation.
- Then let the strawberry compote cool.
Preparation of the tarts:
- Preheat your oven to 338°F / 170°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide the sweet dough in 3, roll out with a rolling pin on a floured work surface to about 3-4 mm thickness, then move the dough to the parchment paper.
- Spread a thin layer of almond cream on the center of the dough, leaving a border of about 2 inch / 4 cm, spread a layer of strawberry compote and cover with sliced strawberries.
- Fold the edges over the strawberries, sprinkle with brown sugar and repeat this step for the other 2 tarts.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes until they are a nice golden color.
- Let the pies cool completely and chill before eating.