This recipe is so delicious served with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream and crushed pistachio.
What is a rustic tart?
Rustic galette recipes are becoming increasingly popular because they are much easier and quicker to make than the regular tart recipes baked in a pie dish or in a tart ring.
The great thing about this rustic old-fashioned tart is that you need very few utensils to prepare it, other than a rolling pin and an oven.
Why you'll love this recipe
In addition to being a very simple recipe to make, this galette may contain any fruit that can be eaten cooked. Like here with strawberries, apples like my rustic apple tart recipe, and even with blueberries, plums, apricots, rhubarb, or raspberries.
Ok visually with this galette we are far from the perfect finishes of famous pastry chefs. But we love this galette for its cosy side, like a grandmother's dessert and perfect to share with your family.
This strawberry galette can be served with homemade whipped cream, and you can add some fruit compote or why not add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, it will be a perfect dessert for the summer and spring season.
More Strawberry desserts
Can I use frozen strawberries?
You can make this recipe with fresh strawberries and even with frozen strawberries. The method of preparation remains the same except that you will have to soften the frozen strawberries in a saucepan to make a more strawberry filling to fill the galette dough.
Ingredients for this recipe
Galette crust :
This dough is the same one used in most French tarts recipes, it' s quite different from the pie crust found in the Apple pie recipe because it has more butter and one egg instead of ice cold water and it's not kneaded at all and keeps a melting and crumbly texture.
I advise you to make the dough by hand because it is quite quick to do but it is also possible to make it with a food processor.
- All purpose flour or wholemeal flour.
- Almond meal that you can also replace with hazelnut meal.
- Confectioner's sugar or granulated sugar.
- Salt, just a small pinch to bring out all the flavors.
- Unsalted butter cut into pieces and cold.
Frangipane (almond cream filling)
It is often named frangipane but in France frangipane is the mixture of almond cream and pastry cream. Here it' s an almond cream filling that we use very often to fill the crust, it brings a lot of flavor and a soft texture.
- Unsalted butter softened at room temperature.
- Granulated sugar or a brown sugar like coconut sugar or cane sugar.
- Egg at room temperature, for a vegan version remove the egg from the recipe.
- Almond meal or even a pistachio meal or hazelnut meal.
- Vanilla extract
Strawberry Filling :
Baked strawberries have a slightly tart taste, you can if you wish simply mix the strawberries in sugar before using them to fill the tart.
- Strawberries or even frozen strawberries.
Find the quantities and instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of this page
How to make Baked Strawberry rustic tart
- Place the dry ingredients, flour sugar, almond powder and pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Add the cold butter, cut into pieces, and sand with your hands to incorporate it into the dry ingredients until you have a sandy mixture.
- Add the egg and mix until you obtain a smooth and homogeneous paste.
- Cover the pie dough with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Tip: Be careful not to knead the pie crust dough so that it is still crumbly and melting. You can also prepare the dough in a food processor.
How to make Frangipane
- Place the softened butter and granulated sugar in a medium bowl and mix with an electric mixer at medium speed for 2-3 minutes until creamy.
- Then add the egg and vanilla extract and mix again to incorporate them.
- Finish by adding the almond powder and mix again until smooth.
- Set aside in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble the rustic pie.
- Start by preparing a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take the shortbread dough out of the fridge and roll the dough with a rolling pin on a floured surface to a thickness of about 3 mm.
- Then place the rolled out dough on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread a layer of almond cream in the center, leaving a 2 inch border (5 cm).
- Place strawberries slices on top, sticking well to each other.
- Fold the edges of the pastry over the filling, trying to keep a round shape.
- Sprinkle cane sugar over the entire pie, strawberries and edges of the shortcrust pastry.
Tip: you can roll out the shortcrust pastry between 2 sheets of parchment paper to prevent it from sticking to the work surface.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F /175°C.
- Place the baking sheet with the strawberry galette pie in the preheat oven and bake for approximately 30 - 40 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Let the rustic pie cool completely before moving it to a large plate or serving dish.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve with a little vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Tip: There is no need to apply an egg wash to the galette dough, it will be crisp after baking.
How to serve this dessert
Here are some ideas for toppings to go with this rustic strawberry tart recipe that will be perfect to sweeten the tartness of the cooked strawberries:
- Home made whipped cream
- Mascarpone whipped cream or chocolate whipped cream frosting
- Strawberry coulis, raspberry or strawberry-rhubarb coulis
- Vanilla ice cream
- Crushed pistachio or crushed almonds
- Strawberries or fresh berries
Question About Galette
You can use any pie crust recipe, such as sweet shortcrust pastry, pie crust, and even a puff pastry.
The only difference is that in the regular pie recipe a pie dish is used, whereas with the galette it is a free form tart recipe without a dish.
Yes you can use the same dough recipe as for the pie recipes.
What makes the particularity of the galette is its shape and its original rustic style with its folded dough that makes a border all around the galette with the cooked fruits in the center.
Room temperature: This rustic strawberry galette recipe can be stored in the refrigerator for about 2-4 days covered with plastic wrap.
How to freeze? And you can even keep your strawberry galette up to 3 months in the freezer and let it defrost slowly in the refrigerator.
How to make it ahead of time?
Although this is a very quick recipe to make, you can also make it 1 day ahead and leave it in the fridge until you are ready to cook it. Or freeze it raw and let it rest in the fridge for a few hours before baking it, following the instructions in the recipe card.
You will also love
- Strawberry swirl cheesecake
- Strawberry layer cake
- Strawberry whipped cream cake
- Strawberry macarons
Lemon meringue tart
- Almond pear rustic tart
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print