How to make a homemade pear galette with this easy and delicious recipe. This recipe is made with a crispy and buttery crust with an almond cream filling and melting fresh pears.
This delicious and easy pear galette recipe is simply a quick version of the famous traditional French frangipane pear tart.
If you like pear desserts then you must try this express recipe which makes a perfect last minute dessert and will delight your guests' taste buds.
The pear galette is made of sweet pastry dough (French pâte sablée) with a buttery and crunchy texture and filled with frangipane (almond cream) and tender and juicy pears.
In addition to being very easy to make and not needing to blind bake the crust or use a tart pan, it is also a very quick recipe to make at home, perfect for any occasion, to serve on a plate with a scoop of ice cream and toasted pecans.
Ingredients and substitutions
Here are the ingredients and possible substitutions to make this delicious pear galette at home, scroll down the page to see the quantities in the recipe card.
For the galette dough base in this recipe, I made a sweet tart crust (pâte sablée) using ground almond meal with a crunchy and crumbly texture and a whole wheat version with semi-whole wheat flour that you can replace with all-purpose flour.
You can also substitute this pate sablée crust with store-bought dough, a pie crust, a puff pastry, a shortcrust pastry dough, or a sweet tart crust dough.
For the filling between the pastry and the fruits, I chose an almond cream (frangipane) that you can simply replace with a layer of pear or apple compote.
- Butter: Use unsalted, well-softened butter.
- Sugar: granulated or brown sugar or powdered sugar.
- Eggs: eggs at room temperature
- Almond meal: Finely ground blanched or whole almonds, which can be replaced with ground hazelnuts.
- Flavor: vanilla or almond extract.
Use fresh sliced pears that are well ripened, I have kept the skin here for the visual effect, in this case, use organic pears, you can also use directly poached pears or canned pear halves.
- Chocolat : parfumer la crème d'amande avec du cacao en poudre non sucré ou du chocolat noir fondu, ou ajouter des pépites de chocolat.
- Spices: As with apples, pears go well with warm spices such as ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cardamom.
- Nuts: crushed nuts to sprinkle on the tart before baking, such as chopped hazelnuts, almonds or pecans.
- Fruits: Here, I use bosc pears that you can replace with other varieties like anjou pears. You can replace them by all kinds of fruits like apples, strawberries, raspberries, plums or apricots.
⚠️ You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
How to make Almond Pear Galette
1 - Pie crust
- Place the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl, flour, powdered sugar, almond meal and salt.
- Add the cold butter pieces and mix with your fingers until you get a sandy mixture.
- Make a hollow and add the egg in between, mix with your fingers to moisten all the ingredients until you can gather the dough and form a ball.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
Tip: You can also make the dough directly in a food processor to avoid handling the dough.
2 - Almong filling
- Place softened unsalted butter and granulated sugar in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer for about 2-3 minutes until creamy and smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat again for a good minute to incorporate.
- Finish with the almond meal and mix again with an electric mixer to incorporate them and have a smooth preparation.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator until ready to prepare the cake.
Tip: You can flavor the almond filling with chocolate chips, cinnamon ground or ground ginger spices, lemon juice or lemon zest, or simply replace it with applesauce or pear sauce.
3 - Assembly
- Take the sweet shortcrust dough out of the fridge and roll it out on a floured work surface or between two sheets of parchment paper to a thickness of 3 mm, trying to give it a round shape.
- Place the disc of galette dough on a large sheet of baking paper.
- Mark the center with a large flat plate to get a mark.
- Add a layer of almond mixture on the whole surface of the mark and spread it with an angled spatula.
- Arrange the pear slices well on the surface of the almond cream.
- And close the edges of the dough on the pears to form a round galette.
- Sprinkle some cane sugar on the whole pear cake.
Tip: You can also add egg wash with a pastry brush on the edges of the dough only to have a more golden and shiny color after baking.
4 - Baking
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and prepare a baking sheet.
- Slide the sheet of baking paper where the pear tart is on the baking sheet.
- And bake the pear galette in the oven for about 45 minutes until the edges are deep golden brown and the pears are melting.
- Let the galette cool slightly on the baking sheet before moving it to a cooling rack or in a large serving dish.
- Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream and caramel sauce.
How to serve this galette
This pear tart is a delight to eat on its own, but for those with a sweet tooth, don't forget to add a creamy topping to make a fabulous dessert and here are some ideas:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate sauce
- Salted caramel sauce
- Fresh fruits
- Toasted pecans or chopped hazelnuts
In the fridge: Store the fruit galette in the fridge preferably for 3 to 5 days, well covered with plastic wrap or in a storage box.
You can slightly warm the tart in the microwave to enjoy it a little warm or eat it cold.
In the freezer: You can prepare it in advance and keep it in the freezer for a long time, up to 3 months, wrapped in plastic wrap or in a storage box.
Let it thaw in the refrigerator for about 1 day.
More tarts recipes
More pear recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print