Delicious Victoria berry cake, with sponge cake, mascarpone filling, strawberry coulis, and fresh berries (for a 7 - 8 inches / 17-20 cm cake, 8-10 slices).
- 200 g (1 cup) Butter - unsalted and softened
- 200 g (1 cup) Sugar - granulated
- 4 Eggs - large and at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 200 g (1 2/3 cups) Flour -Cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Mascarpone whipped cream
- 200 g (1 cup) Mascarpone cheese - cold
- 250 ml (1 cup) Heavy cream - full-fat and cold
- 2-3 tbsp. powdered sugar - icing sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 125 g (2/3 cup) Strawberries - fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 tbsp Sugar - granulated
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
About 2 1/2 cups Fresh berries to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 329°F / 165°C and line 2 round cake pans, 7 -8 inches (17-20 cm) in diameter, with baking parchment.
- Mix and sift together the dry ingredients, cake flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, then set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, blend the softened butter with the sugar at medium speed for 5 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Keeping the mixer running at medium speed, add the vanilla extract and eggs one by one until well incorporated, then leave the mixer running at medium-high speed for 5 minutes until you have a voluminous mixture.
- Fold the dry ingredients by hand with a flexible spatula, mixing gently until smooth.
- Divide the batter in 2 and spread it into the 2 prepared pans.
- Bake the sponge cakes for around 30 minutes, until golden brown. (Check by inserting the blade of a knife or a toothpick into the center of the cake, it should come out clean, with no crumbs or liquid batter, otherwise cook for a further 5 minutes).
- Remove the sponge cakes from the oven and leave them to cool for a few minutes in their pans, before carefully removing them and leaving them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Place the strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan and heat over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture turns into a strawberry purée.
- Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend the mixture until you have a strawberry coulis.
- Strain the strawberry coulis through a fine sieve to remove the seeds, then chill until ready to assemble.
- Place the cold mascarpone cheese, cold heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, beat at medium speed for about 3 minutes until the frosting is thick and smooth.
- Keep in a cool place until ready to assemble.
- Cut out the bumps on the sponge cakes using a sponge lyre or large saw knife.
- Top the first cake layer with the mascarpone frosting, then add sliced fresh fruit and a bit of strawberry coulis.
- Cover with the second sponge cake layer and again add a bit of mascarpone frosting with fresh berries and strawberry coulis to decorate the top of the cake.
- Place the Victoria cake in the fridge for about 1 hour before serving cold.
Storage: Up to 3-4 days in the fridge, wrapped in plastic wrap or in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Cakes
- Cuisine: English
Keywords: victoria cake, victorian cake, berry cake, berry and cream cake, berry cream cake, victoria sandwich cake