An easy vanilla birthday cake made of a soft and moist vanilla sponge cake, fill with mascarpone whipped cream and decorate with a American buttercream frosting (for a 6 inch / 15 cm diameter cake - about 8-10 parts)
Vanilla cake (3 layers)
- 390 g (3 cups) Cake Flour
- 290 g (1 1/2 cups) Sugar - granulated
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 175 (3/4 cup) Butter - unsalted and softened
- 312 ml (1 1/4 cups) Milk - or Buttermilk
- 4 Eggs - medium at room temperature
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 125 g (1/2 cup) Mascarpone cheese - cold
- 150 ml (2/3 cup) Heavy cream - full-fat and cold
- 2 tbsp Powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
Vanilla Buttercream frosting
- 170 g (3/4 cup) Butter - unsalted and softened
- 315 g (2 1/2 cups) Icing sugar - sifted
- 2 tbsp Heavy cream - or milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 320°F / 160°C and line 3 6 inch / 15 cm cake pans with parchment paper.
- Mix together the liquid ingredients, eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Place the dry ingredients in the stand mixer bowl, flour, sugar, salt and baking powder and mix on high speed for 10-15 seconds.
- Add the chopped butter and mix for 1 minute on high speed until sandy.
- Add half of the liquid mixture and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Then add the other half and mix again for 2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into your 3 baking pans and bake for 30-45 minutes. Check the cooking with a toothpick by sticking it in the center, it should come out clean.
- Let the cakes cool a bit before unmolding them and letting them cool completely upside down on a cake rack.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for 2 hours.
American buttercream frosting
- Place the room temperature butter, cut into pieces, in the bowl of your stand mixer and beat with the paddle attachment for 5 minutes until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Add the sifted confectioner's sugar, heavy cream, vanilla and salt and mix on high speed for another 3 minutes until smooth and fluffy.
- Set aside at room temperature until ready to assemble.
Mascarpone whipped cream
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl, the cold mascarpone cream, the very cold heavy cream, the sifted confectioner's sugar and the vanilla.
- Mix with an electric mixer for 4 - 5 minutes until you obtain a thick and homogeneous preparation.
- Set aside in a fresh place until ready to assemble.
Assembling the cake
- Place a first layer of sponge cake on a cake plate placed on your cake turntable.
- Garnish the inside with a layer of mascarpone whipped cream and smooth with a spatula.
- Cover with the second layer of sponge cake and repeat the previous step. Finish with the third layer of sponge cake.
- Apply a layer of buttercream over the entire cake and smooth with the spatula and then an cake scraper.
- Decorate the top with a pastry bag filled with buttercream and a star tip.
- Sprinkle with sugar sprinkles and place your cake in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Storage: Up to 4 days in the refrigerator and up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: cake, Dessert
- Cuisine: americain
- Calories: 799
- Sugar: 64
- Sodium: 393
- Fat: 43
- Saturated Fat: 27
- Carbohydrates: 95
- Fiber: 1
- Protein: 9
- Cholesterol: 180
Keywords: vanilla birthday cake, vanilla cake, vanilla cream cake, simple birthday cake, easy birthday cake