Perfect chocolate cake recipe made with cocoa powder chocolate sponge and whipped white chocolate ganache frosting with mascarpone cheese ( 6 inch/ 15 cm diameter 8-10 slices)
Whipped White chocolate ganache
- 300 g (10 oz) White baking chocolate - 32 - 35 % cocoa butter
- 340 ml (1 1/2 cups) Heavy cream - 30% fat
- 450 (2 cups) Mascarpone cheese - cold
- 1 Vanilla bean - or 1 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate cake :
- 3 Eggs - room temperature about 187 g
- 200 g ( 3/4 cup) Sugar - granulated
- 174 g ( 1 1/4 cup) Flour - cake flour or all-purpose
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- 75 g ( 3/4 cup) Cocoa powder - unsweetened
- 250 ml (1 cup) Heavy cream - full fat 30% and cold
Whipped vanilla ganache
- Chop the white chocolate finely and place it in a large container.
- Bring the heavy cream and half a vanilla bean to a boil in a saucepan and then pour it all at once over the chocolate.
- Mix with a spatula until you have a smooth liquid mixture. (Use a hand blender if necessary to smooth the ganache)
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for one night.
- Preheat your oven to 320°F/160°C and line a 6 inch / 15 cm round pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar for at least 10 minutes (they will double or even triple in volume)
- In another bowl, mix and sift together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, place the cold heavy cream and whip it stiff.
- Gently fold in the whipped cream with a spatula.
- Pour this mixture into your pan and bake for about 45-55 minutes.
- Let your cake cool for a few minutes in the pan, then remove it from the pan and let it cool completely on a rack.
- Wrap your cake in cling film and place it in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
Layering and decorating
- Place the cooled ganache in the bowl of a stand mixer and whip for about 4-5 minutes at medium speed, gradually increasing the speed until you obtain a stiff ganache.
- Add the cold mascarpone in two batches and continue beating until you have a thick, firm cream.
- Place a first layer of sponge cake and fill the inside with a small amount of ganache.
- Place a second layer and repeat this step until the last layer.
- Cover the entire layer cake with a very thin layer of ganache to enclose the crumbs.
- Apply a second, thicker layer and smooth with a frosting smoother.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a piping bag with the remaining ganache and decorate the top of the cake by forming swirls.
- Sprinkle with cocoa meal and keep your layer cake in the fridge until ready to serve.
Storage: Store up to 5 days in the fridge under plastic wrap or in an airtight container.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: layer cake, cakes, Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 518
- Sugar: 25
- Sodium: 122
- Fat: 38
- Saturated Fat: 23
- Carbohydrates: 39
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 8
- Cholesterol: 128
Keywords: chocolate cake, layer cake, whipped ganache, chocolate cake with vanilla frosting, chocolate cake with white chocolate ganache, vanilla and chocolate cake