How to make this decadent chocolate cheesecake with chocolate ganache recipe a very creamy texture on a crunchy Oreo cookies crust like in my chocolate mousse pie. 3 layers of chocolate in this easy and perfect dessert for all chocolate lovers.
This delicious chocolate cheesecake recipe with chocolate ganache is just to die for! Loaded with 3 chocolate layers makes this dessert so irresistible and a favorite if you are a chocolate lover.
With already an Oreo cookie crust, a very creamy and rich chocolate filling made without cocoa powder, and a topping of chocolate ganache. You can even add a fourth layer with that perfect homemade whipped cream to sweeten all that chocolate.
As in my New York cheesecake recipe, this version of triple chocolate cheesecake with Oreo crust has the same creamy and tangy taste that makes this baked cheesecake so special.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Very simple recipe with my tips to succeed and have a cheesecake without cracks.
- Creamy chocolate cheesecake texture thanks to the combination of cream cheese and sour cream which balances perfectly its taste.
- Three doses of chocolate with its Oreo crust, its chocolate filling, and its chocolate ganache.
Ingredients and substitutions
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed and possible substitutions to make this delicious chocolate cheesecake at home, scroll down to see the quantities in the recipe card.
- Cookies: Use Oreo cookies or any other shortbread like biscoff cookies, or graham crackers.
- Butter: Unsalted and melted butter.
- Cream cheese: use softened and full-fat cream cheese such as Philadelphia brand, do not use light cream cheese.
- Sour cream: you can replace it with Greek yogurt.
- Sugar: a rather fine, unflavored granulated sugar.
- Eggs: whole and at room temperature.
- Chocolate: Use semi-sweet baking chocolate at least 54% cocoa butter instead of cocoa powder to flavor the cheesecake. Avoid semi-sweet chocolate chips they are more suitable to resist heat and do not melt easily. You can also use bittersweet chocolate for an even stronger taste. (for a white chocolate cheesecake version, you can replace the semi-sweet chocolate with white chocolate).
- Vanilla: Liquid vanilla extract.
Which chocolate to choose
Use high-quality chocolate to make this recipe rather than chocolate chips which is more often used in cookie or muffin recipes because it is more resistant to heat and does not melt quickly.
Melted chocolate is used in this triple chocolate cheesecake and you need to use chocolate with a higher percentage of cocoa butter, which is found in chocolate couverture in pistole, chocolate bar or in gallet like the brand Vahlrona or Callebaut.
Chocolate chips can be used in addition to this triple chocolate cheesecake filling if you want to add a bit of a crunchy texture. Unsweetened cocoa powder is also an option and can add a bit of extra flavor.
How to make Chocolate cheesecake with ganache
- Blend the oreo cookies in a food processor until you have a very fine meal with no lumps.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or in a small saucepan.
- Pour the melted butter over the Oreo cookies powder and mix until the cookies are well coated with melted butter.
- Line an 8-inch springform pan with parchment paper or grease it for easier removal from the pan.
- Pour the mixture into the bottom of the cheesecake pan onto the baking paper and press down with a tablespoon or the bottom of a glass until you have an even layer of Oreo cookie crust on the bottom.
- Place the prepared pan in the refrigerator while preparing the chocolate cheesecake batter.
Tip: Make sure to bring the oreo crust up to the edges of the springform pan so you have cheesecake pieces with lots of crunch.
Cream cheese filling
- Melt chopped chocolate in a double boiler or microwave and set aside to cool it down a bit.
- Beat the softened cream cheese and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer with a flat spatula at medium speed for about 1 minute until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients while the mixer is running at medium speed, the sour cream, and vanilla extract, and then add the eggs in batches and stir for 1 to 2 minutes to incorporate well.
- Finish by adding the cooled melted chocolate into the cream cheese mixture and mix to obtain a smooth and homogeneous batter.
Tip: Be careful not to mix the cheesecake mixture too quickly to avoid incorporating too much air that could cause cracks during baking.
- Preheat the oven to 302°F / 150°C and heat water in a medium saucepan until it boils to make a water bath.
- Pour the chocolate cheesecake filling into the springform pan over the dry cookie base and smooth the top a little with a spatula.
- Then pour the hot water onto a baking sheet.
- Place bake cheesecake in the oven, placed on the rack just above the sheet pan filled with hot water and bake for about 90 minutes.
- At the end of the baking time, turn off the oven, leave the door ajar and let the chocolate cheesecake cool for about 1 hour.
- Let the cheesecake cool completely at room temperature.
- Then cover it with cling film and place it in the fridge without unmolding it for at least 6 hours (overnight)
- Turn out the chocolate cheesecake carefully from the springform pan and pour the chocolate ganache over it and serve immediately.
Tip: If using a pastry ring, line the bottom with aluminum foil to prevent the cream cheese filling from escaping during baking.
Chocolate ganache topping
- Place finely chopped chocolate in a medium bowl
- Heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan until it simmers.
- Stir the hot cream into the chocolate and mix with a spatula until smooth and liquid.
- Serve the chocolate ganache immediately over the cooled cheesecake.
How to serve this dessert
While this is the best chocolate cheesecake and it is already perfect for all chocolate lovers with its chocolate topping and whipped cream. If you feel like trying out different flavors chocolate goes well with berries or you can add even more chocolate.
Here are some topping ideas to go with and to decorate your triple chocolate cheesecake :
- Chocolate ganache
- Chocolate whipped cream
- Raspberry sauce
- Chocolate shavings
Frequently Asked Questions
No, you can make this cheesecake recipe without a water bath, it's mainly to prevent cracks that can appear during cooking.
After the cooking time, you should have a cheesecake with a firm texture to the touch, it may still be a little soft but it will firm up as it cools.
Cover cooled cheesecake whole or cut into slices with cling film and place directly in the freezer for up to 3 months.
It is possible, but as chocolate chips are more used in cookies or muffins recipes because they resist better heat, you will have to melt them well before incorporating them into the cheesecake.
Storage and freeze
In the fridge: Cover with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for about 1 week.
In the freezer: When the cheesecake is completely cooled, cover it with plastic wrap and place it in the freezer for at least 3 months. Or cut into slices and place in a storage box.
To defrost, simply let it sit in the refrigerator for several hours.
- No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake
- No-Bake Biscoff Cheesecake
- No-Bake Oreo Cheesecake
- Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake
- Oreo Cheesecake bites
- Baklava cheesecake
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print