The perfect and most authentic New York style cheesecake recipe with an ultra rich and creamy texture. This popular dessert is one of my favorites served with a berry coulis and no one can resist it at home.
If you're still looking for the best New York cheesecake recipe with its dense and ultra-creamy texture, this is it! Certainly the easiest recipe and moreover I give you all my advice to succeed and have a perfect cheesecake without cracks.
New York style cheesecake
The New York style cheesecake is a very popular dessert all over the world because it is so appreciated. And I'm a huge fan myself, it's definitely my favorite dessert on the blog! And I' m not the only one who loves it, no one can resist its incredibly creamy and rich texture. Especially if it's served with a little fruit coulis and whipped cream then I'm the happiest in the world.
There are many different cheesecake recipes out there, but this Traditional New York style cheesecake recipe has a few things that I find interesting to mention.
What makes the difference between this traditional recipe and the regular recipe which have the same ingredients of composition is especially the final texture. This one has a much higher amount of cream cheese which really gives it a very compacted and creamy texture. It is also composed of more egg with an extra yolk that brings a more yellow color and this really particular density and texture in mouth. This makes it a very rich and creamy dessert.
Why this is a perfect recipe
A perfect cheesecake is when its texture is dense and rich and just by looking at it you can imagine the creaminess in your mouth! A perfect balance of cream and sugar with a slight tangy taste that is special to this authentic recipe!
You see these photos there is no fake not a single crack on my cheesecake and nothing very complicated for that I explain to you how to succeed and everything you need to know to turned out perfect and amaze your loved ones!
Tools to make this recipe from scratch.
- A 8 inch / 20 cm springform pan for easy removal
- A stand mixer or electric mixer to prepare the cheesecake mixture
What the New york style cheesecake recipe is made of
For the crunchy base
- Graham crackers : these are the most used for this recipe, but you can also try with speculoos the taste is incredible !
- Butter: use unsalted and melted butter.
For the cheesecake mixture
- Cream cheese: This is the main ingredient of this recipe, the most famous brand is philadephia.
- Sugar: You need a minimum amount of sugar to counterbalance the salty taste of the cream cheese. Use a white powdered sugar preferably and not a flavored sugar.
- Cornstarch: Adding cornstarch is mainly to prevent the cheesecake from cracking.
- Eggs: Medium sized whole eggs with an extra yolk at room temperature to give it that thick texture.
- Sour cream: or heavy cream both will give the same effect of loosening the cream cheese and adding a softer texture.
- Lemon juice: This is optional but it adds a little tartness that is found in this traditional recipe. You can also add the lemon zest in addition to the juice.
- Vanilla: Pure liquid vanilla extract for flavoring
How to make the New york style cheesecake recipe
The graham cracker crust
Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C and line a springform pan with baking paper on bottom and sides for an easy removal of the cheesecake.
Start by blending the cookies in a food processor to a very fine meal and then place them in a medium sized bowl.
Heat the butter in a saucepan or in the microwave and add it to the cracker powder and mix with a wooden spoon so that the crackers soak up the butter.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press down with your hands, or the bottom of a glass, until the mixture reaches the edges of the pan.
Bake the crust base for 10 minutes and then let cool completely.
Take out your ingredients at least 20 minutes before starting the preparation to obtain a smooth and homogeneous texture.
Fill a saucepan with water and boil it on the stove, it will be used to make a water bath.
Use your stand mixer to prepare the filling or an electric mixer. First, place the cream cheese with the powdered sugar and cornstarch in the bowl of your mixer fitted with the flat spatula and mix for 1-2 minutes until you have a smooth and creamy mixture. Then add the eggs and egg yolk, previously beaten in several times, to your preparation and mix until they are incorporated.
Finish by stirring in the sour cream, lemon juice and vanilla extract and mix on low speed just until incorporated.
Pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan over the graham cracker crumbs.
How to perfectly bake the cheesecake
Pour the hot water onto a baking sheet positioned on the bottom of the oven and place the rack on top. Place the cheesecake on the rack and bake for about 1 ½ hours at 302°F / 150°C.
The cheesecake will puff up slightly and then fall back down, you will know it is ready when it has a golden yellow color with slightly browned edges. The texture has already firmed up, but leave it in the oven with the door half-open for about 1 more hour.
It will continue to firm up and cool a bit, then let it cool at room temperature for a while before covering it with plastic wrap and placing it in the fridge at least 6 hours or overnight.
After the time in the fridge you can unmold your cheesecake without the risk of cracking.
How to store cheesecake
In the fridge
It should be kept in the refrigerator preferably, it is eaten cold and then it has that firm and smooth texture. Place it in a storage box with a lid or put it on a plate and cover it with cling film. You can keep it for about 1 week.
How to freeze cheesecake
Yes, it is possible to freeze a cheesecake and you can keep it for a long time. You have to cut it in small parts, it will be easier to defrost it and put it in a conservation box with a lid. You will have to wait until it is cold before placing it in the freezer and you can keep it for up to 3 months.
To defrost, place it in the refrigerator and let it slowly come back to room temperature.
5 Tips for successful cheesecake
1 - The Temperature of the Ingredients
As in all cake recipes, the more the ingredients have the same temperature the better they mix together. And that's what ensures a smooth and successful texture after baking. So remember to get the cream cheese, sour cream and eggs out at least 20 minutes before you start baking.
2 - Don't mix the mixture too quickly
If you have a stand mixer, use a flat spatula instead of a whisk to avoid incorporating air as much as possible. It is the air incorporated into the mixture during mixing that will be the cause of the cracking on the top of the cheesecake.
3 - Gentle cooking and slow cooling
The cheesecake is baked in a preheated oven at a maximum temperature of 302°F / 150°C. After the specified baking time leave it in the oven and leave the door open a little so that the oven cools down slowly. The purpose is to prevent the cheesecake from having a thermal shock which could also cause cracking.
4 - Do not unmold the cheesecake when it is hot
And this is experience it may crack immediately. Let the cheesecake cool in the fridge overnight before unmolding and it will be perfect.
5 - Cook in a water bath
Using this method of cooking in a water bath adds moisture to the oven and prevents the cheesecake from drying out and forming a dry, hard crust on top. It will keep its soft and creamy texture and the moisture will also prevent cracks from appearing on the top.
Suggested topping for your cheesecake
- A red fruit coulis, strawberries or raspberries
- A salted caramel sauce
- A chocolate sauce
- Whipped cream
FAQ Cheesecake Frequently Asked Questions
How long should i bake my cheesecake and can you tell when it is done ?
The cheesecake should always be baked at an average temperature of 150°C, no higher, and placed in a fan oven at mid-height.
The cooking time is between 1h20 to 1h45 depending on the diameter, the height of the pan and the power of your oven.
The cheesecake is ready when its texture has firmed up and it is already firm to the touch.
How do I bake a cheesecake without crakling ?
First of all, it is important to know that a cracked cheesecake is not a failed cheesecake! And I have made some cracked cheesecakes and yet it is still my favorite dessert!
Here are my 3 tips to avoid cheesecake cracking
- Do not over whip during pre-preparation to avoid getting air that will be responsible for the cracks
- Bake in a water bath (to bring moisture in the oven and avoid the cheeseacke drying out and cracking)
- Let the cheesecake cool slowly in the oven and then let it cool completely in the fridge before unmolding it.
And if you like cheesecake recipes
- No-bake cheesecake
- Strawberry cheesecake tart
- Oreo cheesecake
- Cheesecake layer with salted butter caramel
Watch how I make this recipe on video
I love to see your achievements 😉 So feel free to share your photos with me and tag me @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make my New York cheesecake recipe and add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog 😉
New york style cheesecake recipe
- 220 g Graham crackers
- 100 g Butter - melted
- 600 g Cream cheese
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Egg yolk
- 200 g Sour cream
- 220 g Sugar - powdered
- 2 tbsp Cornstach
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ lemon juice
Prepare the bottom of the cheesecake
- Preheat your oven to 150°C (fan oven) and prepare a springform pan of 18-20 cm diameter with parchment paper for an easier removal of the cheesecake.
- Blend the crackers to a fine meal.
- Mix the powdered crackers with the melted butter in a bowl.
- Spread this mixture in the bottom of your springform pan and pack the mixture to make it rise on the sides.
- Bake for 10 minutes and let cool.
Make the cheesecake mixture
- Boil a large pot of water while preparing the cheesecake maker.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix together the cream cheese, powdered sugar and cornstarch on medium speed.
- Then gradually add the eggs and egg yolk, beaten in several times, while keeping the mixer running at slow speed. Until you obtain a smooth and homogeneous mixture.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla extract and lemon juice while still mixing at slow speed. Do not add air to the cream to obtain a smooth cheesecake that does not crack when cooked.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture into the springform pan onto the pre-baked crust and tap the pan a little on your work surface to release any air bubbles trapped in the cheesecake mixture.
- Pour the water from the pan into a baking tray and bake the cheesecake in the oven at 150°C on the rack positioned just above it for about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- After baking, leave the cheesecake in the oven with the door open for another 30 - 45 minutes.
- Allow the cheesecake to cool completely in the pan at room temperature, then cover with cling film and place in the fridge overnight without removing from the pan.
- The next day, remove the cheesecake from the pan and serve with fresh fruit or a coulis.