Get ready to savor a slice of cheesecake heaven with this ultimate classic New York cheesecake recipe. Foolproof, authentic, and perfect in every way, this creamy and rich cheesecake is served with a luscious homemade strawberry sauce.
Why this recipe works
If you're in search of the ultimate New York-style cheesecake with its impeccably dense and ultra-creamy texture, look no further! This is undoubtedly the finest New York cheesecake, free from any cracks and boasting an incredibly rich and creamy consistency."
Loved not just in the U.S. but all around the world. People adore it because it's incredibly creamy and rich, and it has a slightly tangy flavor that makes it unique. It's a favorite dessert enjoyed by people everywhere
A perfect combination of crunchy, buttery graham cracker crumbs and an ultra-creamy cream cheese filling made with Philadelphia cheese and sour cream which goes perfectly with a little whipped cream and its homemade strawberry coulis.
More Baked Cheesecake recipes
NY cheesecake Vs Classic cheesecake
While classic New York cheesecake is quite similar to a regular cheesecake recipe, there are still some differences that make it uniquely special and set it apart.
- Very creamy texture: due to its high cream cheese content, much more than in other cheesecake recipes, which gives it that dense and incredibly creamy mouthfeel.
- Egg yolk: The addition of egg yolk often makes the texture even denser, richer, and more stable, and helps prevent cracking.
Ingredients you need for this recipe
- Graham crackers: The most used for this recipe, but you can also try with biscoff cookies the taste is incredible!
- Unsalted butter: use unsalted and melted butter.
- Cream cheese: Use room temperature and softened cream cheese and be careful to take the full-fat cream cheese and not the light one.
- Sugar: Use white granulated sugar preferably and not flavored sugar.
- Cornstarch: Adding cornstarch is mainly to prevent the cheesecake from cracking.
- Eggs: Medium-sized whole eggs with an extra yolk at room temperature to give them that thick texture.
- Sour cream: or full-fat heavy cream will give the same effect of loosening the cream cheese and adding a softer texture.
- Lemon juice: This is optional but it adds a little tartness that is found in this traditional recipe. You can also add the lemon zest in addition to the fresh lemon juice.
- Vanilla extract: Pure liquid vanilla extract for flavoring.
*You will find the quantities and instructions in the recipe card below.
How to Make New York Cheesecake Recipe
Make the Crust
- Start by blending the graham cracker in a food processor to obtain a very fine meal and then place them in a medium-sized bowl. (you can also place them in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin)
- Melt the unsalted butter in a saucepan or in the microwave and add it to the graham cracker crumbs and mix with a wooden spoon until the crumbs soak up the melted butter.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and press down with your hands, or the bottom of a glass, until the mixture reaches the edges of the pan.
- Place in the refrigerator while preparing the cheesecake.
Tip: No need to pre-bake the graham cracker crust, it will harden in a refrigerator.
Make the Cheesecake batter
- Place the cream cheese with the granulated sugar and cornstarch in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and mix at medium speed for about 1-2 minutes until you have a smooth and creamy mixture.
- Add the eggs and egg yolk previously beaten in several times to your preparation and mix until they are well incorporated.
- Stir in the sour cream, lemon juice, and vanilla extract and mix on low speed just until incorporated.
- Pour the cream cheese filling into the prepared springform pan over the graham cracker crust.
Tip: Take out your ingredients at least 20 minutes before starting the preparation to obtain a smooth and homogeneous texture.
- Pour the hot water onto a baking sheet positioned at the bottom of the oven and place the rack on top.
- Place the cheesecake pan on the rack and bake for about 1 h 30 hours at 302°F / 150°C. (The cheesecake will puff up slightly and then fall back down. You will know it is ready when it has a golden yellow color with slightly browned edges)
- The cheesecake is done when it has a firm texture, but leave it in the oven with the oven door for about 1 more hour. It will continue to firm up and cool a bit.
- Then let it cool at room temperature for a while before covering it with plastic wrap and placing it in the fridge for at least 6 hours or overnight.
Advice: Let it sit in the fridge for at least 6 hours, after that time you can unmold your cheesecake without the risk of cracking.
Storage and freeze instructions
In the fridge :
It should be kept in the refrigerator preferably, it is eaten cold and then it has that firm and smooth texture. Place it in a storage box with a lid or put it on a plate and cover it with cling film. You can keep it for about 1 week.
Yes, it is possible to freeze a cheesecake and you can keep it for a long time. You have to cut it in small parts, it will be easier to defrost it and put it in a conservation box with a lid.
Place cooled cheesecake wrapped in plastic wrap in the freezer and you can keep it for up to 3 months.
To defrost: place it in the refrigerator and let it slowly come back to room temperature.
Cheesecake Secret Tips
Patience is crucial to the success of baked cheesecakes. It takes a very slow and steady process to prepare a mixture and bake it. The following steps are essential for a good recipe.
- Room temperature ingredients: That's what ensures a smooth and successful texture after baking.
- Don't over-whip the batter: It's the air incorporated into the mixture during mixing that will be the cause of the cracking on the top of the cheesecake.
- Baking and cooling: Bake for a long time and cool gradually, leaving the cheesecake in the oven with the door open to avoid a thermal shock that would cause the cheesecake to retract too quickly and cause cracks.
- Water bath: The best baking method for a perfect cheesecake, the water bath provides the humidity needed for the cheesecake to bake better.
- Unmold the next day: By experience, it may crack immediately, so let the cheesecake cool in the fridge overnight before removing it from the cheesecake pan and it will be perfect.
How to serve cheesecake
The baked cheesecake only needs one thing, a delicious topping, it is absolutely needed to soften the very creamy and rich texture of the cheesecake, here are some ideas of toppings :
- A strawberry sauce, raspberry sauce, or fresh fruit
- A salted caramel sauce
- A chocolate sauce
- Whipped cream
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
The cooking time is between 1h20 to 1h45 depending on the diameter, the height of the pan, and the power of your oven.
The cheesecake is ready when its texture has firmed up and it is already firm to the touch.
Yes, the hot water bath keeps the cheesecake moisturized. Most importantly, it ensures that you have a texture without any cracks.
You will also love
- No bake strawberry cheesecake
- No-bake Oreo cheesecake
- Oreo cheesecake bites
- No-bake Lotus Biscoff Cheesecake
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print