How to make the best chocolate macaron recipe with a delicious whipped milk chocolate filling. This recipe is so delicious and very easy to make at home for any occasion.
Best macaron recipe
These chocolate macarons are a favorite treat of Parisians and are made of only 2 small crunchy shells that enclose a delicious milk chocolate ganache filling.
These macarons with chocolate flavored with cocoa powder are very easy to make, even if the macaron recipe seems quite intimidating for beginners in pastry.
I use the Italian meringue method rather than the French macarons method, which I think is a foolproof recipe for making pretty macarons plus, it doesn't take any time to crust them and get nice collars.
They are also filled with a delicious whipped milk chocolate ganache frosting which is very easy to make and is composed only of 2 ingrédients baking chocolate and cream.
Follow this easy, foolproof recipe and you'll have beautiful chocolate-flavored macarons perfect for special occasions, as gifts or simply to treat yourself.
What is the best method to make successful macarons?
You probably didn't know it, but there are two main schools of making macaron shells at home: Italian macarons and French macarons.
We cannot really say that one is better than the other because the making of macaron remains quite complex, and very often we follow the recipe with which we are the most comfortable and it is often the one we succeed in making that wins the game.
For me it is clearly the Italian macarons, I find that it is simpler even if it requires more technique and more equipment with the sugar syrup that must go up to a certain temperature.
But the result is always perfect, the shells are smooth and shiny, the collar is there and especially unlike the French macarons, the shells should not crust before being cooked.
Ingredients and substitutions
Macarons batter :
The Italian meringue macarons process is very simple, you just have to make a sugar syrup which will be incorporated to the whipped egg whites. Then, we blend the Italian meringue with a mixture of almond flour , icing sugar, and cocoa powder and voila!
- Egg whites: We use egg whites, preferably aged for several days and especially at room temperature.
- Sugar: This granulated sugar is used to make the sugar syrup that is needed to make the Italian meringue.
- Water: water is used to make the syrup for the meringue.
- Almond: preferably blanched and finely ground almonds and finely mixed as fine almond flour or it also works with almond meal.
- Cocoa powder: use unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Powdered sugar: You can use super fine powdered sugar or icing sugar or possibly confectioner's sugar.
Chocolate filling :
- Milk chocolate: Use milk baking chocolate in bars or chips, you can replace them with dark chocolate.
- Heavy cream: full fat with at least 30% fat.
You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card further down this page.
How to make chocolate macarons recipe
1 - Macaron batter
- Place the almond flour powdered sugar cocoa powder in a large bowl.
- Mix with a spoon and if possible, sift the ingredients.
- Add half of the egg whites and mix until you have a compact and homogeneous paste.
- Then reserve while preparing the Italian meringue.
Tip: To get a very fine powder, you can also put the dry ingredients mixture in a food processor before sifting it in a fine mesh sieve.
2 - Make the Italian meringue
- Place the powdered sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and check the temperature with a candy thermometer, which should reach an initial temperature of 237°F /114°C.
- And as soon as this temperature is reached, place the remaining egg whites in the mixing bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and beat the egg whites at medium high speed, the mixture forms bubbles and begins to whiten like a mousse.
- Finally, at 244°F / 118°C, immediately pour the sugar syrup over the egg whites while leaving the mixer running at medium speed.
- Then start again on high speed and mix until the meringue is shiny and until peaks form.
Tip: The making of the meringue may take several minutes, it must cool with a stiff peaks texture, you can touch the meringue with your fingertips it must be barely lukewarm.
3 - Form the chocolate macaron shells
- Add a small amount of meringue to the almond flour mixture and mix quickly with a spoon to loosen the mixture.
- Then add all the remaining meringue and this time mix gently with a spatula until the mixture is smooth.
- Continue mixing until the macaron batter forms a ribbon when you lift the batter.
- Fill a pastry bag fitted with a round tip with the macaron batter.
- Poach balls of dough on a perforated baking sheet whit parchment paper or a special silicone macaron baking mat.
Tip : The macaron mixture is ready when it is homogeneous and you have the famous ribbon of dough when you lift the spatula.
Download the template here: macarons template
4 - Baking
- Bake the macaron shells in a preheated oven at 160°C for about 12-15 minutes, depending on the diameter, without opening the oven door during the cook time.
- Remove them from the oven and let the macarons cool completely on the baking paper for a few minutes before trying to peel them off.
Tip: Tap the baking sheets on the work surface to get the air bubbles out of the macarons.
Tip: Macarons are ready when they peel off the baking paper easily when cooled.
5 - Chocolate filling
- First, place the milk chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl.
- And bring the heavy cream in a saucepan to a boil over medium heat.
- Then pour the hot cream over the chocolate in 2 batches, stirring between each addition until a smooth milk chocolate mixture is obtained.
- Finally cover the ganache with plastic wrap and leave it to cool completely in the fridge.
3 - Macaron assembly
- Start by taking the ganache out of the fridge and with an electric mixer whip up the milk chocolate ganache for about 2 minutes.
- And fill a piping bag with this whipped chocolate ganache.
- Then fill half of the macaron shells with ganache and cover with a second shell of the same diameter.
- Finish by placing your chocolate macarons in the fridge at least 20 minutes before serving them.
Tip: Add a fresh raspberry to the center of the ganache or raspberry jam for extra flavor.
Storage and freeze
Frigde: The filled macarons can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days because they are made with a whipped chocolate frosting.
Room temperature: You can also keep your macaron shells at room temperature in an airtight container with a lid, protected from humidity and light, for 1 week or more.
Freezing: Placed in an airtight container or in freshness bags you can keep chocolate macarons in the freezer up to 3 months. Let them recover slowly in the refrigerator.
5 Tips and tricks for macarons
- Use ingredients at room temperature: especially the egg whites which will rise better and have a firmer texture. (you can also add cream of tartar to make the meringue)
- Weigh your ingredients: It is important to use an electronic scale to weigh the ingredients when making macarons to get the best results.
- Whip the meringue to a firm peak: It should be cool and firm.
- Do not over-mix the macaron batter: as soon as the batter forms the famous "ribbon" it's ready!
- Careful with overcooking: Overcooked macarons are too dry and too crunchy in the mouth.
Frequently asked questions about macarons
There are several reasons why macaroons crack, moisture in the batter, air bubbles that come out during baking, batter that is not soft enough.
Icing sugar and almond flour have lumps that can give grainy shells, to have smooth macaron shells it is advisable to sift them several times or to mix them in a food processor.
The Italian macarons are made with Italian meringue, a sugar syrup incorporated into the egg white, and in the recipe of the French macaron, it's a French meringue where the whites are whipped with sugar.
More macarons recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print