Chocolate crepe cake recipe or how to turn simple crepes into a great looking cake. This delicious dessert is filled with a rich chocolate mascarpone frosting and served with homemade whipped cream and chocolate ganache.
Did you know that you can make fabulous desserts with just crepe batter? Crepe cake is becoming more and more popular and can be made into great sweet and savory desserts to share for a birthday or any other occasion.
Although it may seem a bit technical and very time-consuming to make. In reality, it is very simple and quite quick to make. Made of about 20 crepes stacked on top of each other, a bit like a layer cake. Filled here with a delicious chocolate mascarpone frosting and served with homemade whipped cream and dark chocolate ganache sauce.
And you have an infinite choice of ways to flavor your cake, in a savory version with whipped cream, fresh herbs and salmon. Or sweeten it by replacing the filling with a simple homemade chocolate or Nutella spread, a fruit coulis and fresh fruit such as raspberries, strawberries or exotic fruits.
Ingredients to make a chocolate crepe cake
You don't need many ingredients or a lot of equipment to make this dessert! You just need to prepare the classic crepe batter recipe. Then cook it on a smaller pancake pan than usual to have a high cake.
For this cake, I used about 20 layer of crepe, about 6 inches / 15 cm diameter, for a final cake of about 4 inches / 10 cm height. But you can very well with the same quantities, make a larger cake, about 8 inch /20 cm in diameter, it will be just a little less high but will still have the same number of slices.
Crepe batter ingredients
- Flour: white wheat all-purpose flour.
- Milk: semi-skimmed cow's milk or a vegetable milk like homemade almond milk a vegan version.
- Eggs: At room temperature they incorporate better.
- Butter: optional, it brings a softer texture.
- Sugar: optional, you can replace it with a natural sugar like honey or maple syrup.
- Salt: A flavor enhancer, it brings out all the flavors.
Ingredients for the chocolate mascarpone cream
- Mascarpone: Very cold.
- Confectioner's sugar: do not replace it with granulated sugar as you may feel the grains in your mouth.
- Cocoa powdered: unsweetened and bitter.
- Heavy cream: full fat with at least 30% fat and very cold.
- Vanilla: optional vanilla bean seeds or liquid vanilla to flavor the icing.
And why not try my chocolate crepes recipe for an all-chocolate crepe cake!
More ideas for topping and decorating your cake
- Salted Caramel sauce
- Peanut butter
- Hazelnut praline
- Mascarpone whipped cream
- Pastry cream
- Fresh fruits
- Red fruit coulis, strawberries, passion fruit etc.
- Curd or fruit jam.
Tip: Add a little instant coffee to the filling to make a version of Tiramisu crepe cake.
How to make chocolate crepe cake
Make the crepe batter
- Place the flour, salt and tablespoon of sugar in a large container and make a well in the center.
- Pour the eggs into the well and whisk gradually to incorporate the flour.
- Pour in the milk with one hand and continue to whisk with the other until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add the melted butter and mix again until you have a smooth batter.
Tip: Use a hand mixer to blend the mixture for a lump-free batter.
- Use a crepe pan or electric crepe maker for cooking.
- Grease the pan with a little butter and pour a small ladle of batter into the hot pan.
- Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes per side and use a spatula to flip them easily.
Tip: let the crepes cool completely before assembling the crepe cake.
Assembling the cake
- Place first crepe on a flat plate and top with a thin layer of chocolate mascarpone whipped cream.
- Repeat for all the crepes, trying to line up the crepes on top of each other to get a straight cake.
- Place the cake in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
Decorate the crepe cake
Make homemade whipped cream and chocolate ganache and decorate the top of your cake using a pastry bag and a piping tip. And serve the cake with the chocolate ganache still a little warm.
Keep your chocolate crepe cake in the refrigerator for about 3 to 5 days. You can always reheat it in the microwave for a few moments at low power to make the crepes soft and tender.
More crepes recipes
More chocolate cake recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print