The best flourless chocolate cake recipe ! An easy and super moist cake with an fudgy texture, ultra rich in chocolate flavor and with a delicious crunchy crust on top !
This cake is certainly the best gluten-free chocolate cake, it is light, very tasty and perfect for any occasion!
Do you like your chocolate cake thick and fluffy with a super chocolatey taste? And a texture that melts in your mouth, just the opposite of dry and thin chocolate cakes!
Then this is clearly the chocolate cake of your dreams! In addition to being easy and delicious, this homemade chocolate cake recipe is flourless, for a light and tasty dessert.
Best chocolate cake
Chocolate cake is probably one of the most popular and favorite desserts! Eaten on any occasion and at any time of the day, it is perfect served as a dessert or as a snack for the kids!
Not only is it delicious with its melt-in-your-mouth texture and rich chocolate flavor, it is also very easy to make with simple ingredients that we all have in our cupboards!
Easy flourless chocolate cake
This recipe of delicious chocolate cake has the particularity of not containing flour, which makes it a light, digestible dessert, but especially a gluten-free chocolate cake.
And to obtain this ultra melting chocolate texture, it is the eggs that do the work! In particular, the egg whites are whipped to a stiff peaks and then gently folded into the other ingredients.
This gives a preparation like chocolate mousse and a cake that swells when cooked like a soufflé and then falls back to leave a nice crunchy crust on top!
Materials needed to make this recipe
- Springform 8 inch cake pan (20 cm diameter)for easy removal from the mold or a pastry ring.
- An electric mixer or stand mixer is required to beat the egg whites.
Basic ingredient in this recipe, for a nice chocolate taste, use a quality bittersweet chocolate with at least 64% cocoa. (70% is ideal). Although this recipe can also be prepared with semi-sweet chocolate chip. Remember to reduce the amount of sugar a bit since it is made up of half sugar.
Unsalted soft butter, cut into cubes, cold or at room temperature, it doesn't matter because it will be melted with the chocolate in a double boiler.
Use unrefined sugar preferably, brown sugar or cane sugar for more flavor.
Medium-sized eggs, preferably fresh, not several days old. Remember to separate the whites from the yolks when they are cold and use them when they are at room temperature.
Be careful not to leave any traces of yolk in the whites, as they will be beaten into snow. Use an egg separator, it's more practical!
Use unsweetened cocoa powder, a small amount to support the dark chocolate and give it an even more chocolatey taste.
It's optional, but the taste of espresso coffee adds a delicate hint of spiciness to dark chocolate. Use instant espresso coffee powder. And don't worry, your cake won't taste like coffee at all.
Essential for flavouring all sweet recipes, use pure, liquid vanilla extract that goes perfectly with chocolate desserts.
Salt is a flavor enhancer, add a small pinch of sea salt to bring out all the flavors and especially that of the chocolate.
How to make the flourless chocolate cake
- Preheat the oven to 325°F / 165 °C fan oven and grease a round cake tin of 8 inch/ 20 cm diameter with butter.
- Break the dark chocolate into pieces and place in a bowl with the diced butter.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a boiling water or in the microwave and set aside.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites and place them in a bowl.
- Add the other ingredients, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt and mix with a whisk for about 1 minute.
- Add the melted chocolate and butter mixture and mix again with the whisk for 1 minute.
- Add cocoa powder and espresso coffee and mix until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer for about 5 minutes until stiff.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the mixture with a spatula until they are completely incorporated without the whites falling out.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the cake pan.
- Bake in the oven for about 45-50 minutes, checking with a knife blade.
- Let the cake cool completely before unmolding and place it on a serving plate (the cake will swell a lot during baking and will fall back when you take it out of the oven, this is normal).
How to serve the chocolate cake
The texture of the fondant chocolate cake can be eaten on its own, but for a little more indulgence, here are the toppings that will be perfect to accompany it:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate ganache
- Fresh raspberries
How to store the flourless chocolate cake
Store the chocolate cake at room temperature, covered with cling film for about 2-4 days to keep its melting texture.
Flourless chocolate cake recipe in video
How to make a successful flourless chocolate cake
Ingredients at room temperature
This is the advice that comes up the most in all cake recipes. Use room temperature ingredients, especially here the eggs in order to have a very homogeneous mixture and even more so for the whites that must be beaten into stiff peaks.
Gradually whisk the egg whites
To obtain this pretty crust on the top and also this light cake as a cloud which I remind you does not contain flour. the egg whites must be whipped progressively with an electric mixer or a stand mixer. Start at slow speed and gradually increase the speed without exceeding the medium speed. By pushing the speed to the maximum, the whites will rise very quickly but they will also fall as quickly when cooked. That's why this step is important to keep the texture thick and melting.
Gently fold in
The last important step in making this cake is to gently fold the egg whites into the other ingredients. To do this, you must proceed manually with a spatula. Gently mix from the inside of the bowl to the outside to incoporate without breaking down the texture of the whites.
Other recipes with chocolate
Don't forget to tag me @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make my flourless chocolate cake recipe and add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog.
Flourless chocolate cake recipe
- 225 g Bittersweet chocolate
- 120 g butter
- 5 eggs
- 150 g Powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp espresso coffee - instant powder
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 pinch Salt
- Preheat the oven to 325°F / 165 °C and butter a round cake tin with a diameter of 8 inch / 20 cm.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a bowl with the diced butter.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler or in the microwave.
- Meanwhile, place the yolks in a bowl and whisk for 1 minute with the powdered sugar, salt and vanilla.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture with the butter and whisk again for about 1 minute.
- Finish by adding the cocoa powder and instant espresso coffee and mix again until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the cake pan and bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Let the cake cool completely before removing from the pan.