How to make a delicious chocolate chip bundt cake recipe rich in chocolate and a moist cake texture, served with a runny chocolate glaze. This recipe is very easy to make and perfect for all chocolate lovers.
Best chocolate bundt cake
The chocolate chip bundt cake is a favorite in our house, no one can resist its perfect crumb moist, chocolatey texture and delicious runny chocolate coating.
It is truly a chocolate lover's treat, with a heavenly moist texture and an extra dose of semi sweet chocolate chips which provides a denser texture and an even stronger chocolate flavor.
The chocolate chip bundt cake recipe is made here in a bundt pan but it can easily be made in a loaf pan in a pound cake version without losing any of its goodness.
The chocolate coating is simply a mixture of chocolate and heavy cream in which we add vegetable oil that gives it a more fluid and shiny texture perfect for decorating this chocolate bundt cake.
This is a favorite recipe that we love to share with our family at any occasion. All that chocolate is perfect for warming up with a bit of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream to sweeten up that full-bodied chocolate taste.
Bundt cake vs regular cake
The particularity of bundt cakes compared to regular cakes is the unique shape which gives a beautiful cake which is similar to a doughnut and for that, you need to use a bundt pan.
My favorite and most popular brand of all is Nordicware which have very pretty shapes of bundt pan and in addition, gives every time an incredible result of baking bundt cake recipes.
And that's clearly what we love most about this delicious recipe they melt in your mouth and are so comforting with is topping glaze.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Flour: Preferably use all purpose flour, no need to use cake flour for this recipe.
- Cocoa powder: use unsweetened cocoa powder to give it that chocolate flavor.
- Leavening: A combination of baking powder and baking soda to make the cake rise and give it that softness.
- Butter: unsalted butter and softened at room temperature.
- Sucre: A mixture of granulated sugar or powdered sugar and brown sugar for flavoring.
- Eggs: large and at room temperature.
- Sour cream: Take it out of the fridge in advance to bring it to room temperature as well. You can also replace it with buttermilk or plain yogurt.
- Hot coffee: Preferably espresso coffee or possibly just hot water.
- Chocolate chip: add mini chocolate chips to bring more chocolate to the texture or chocolate chunks.
- Salt and vanilla extract: essential to perfume and bring out all the flavors.
- Chocolate: Use baking chocolate which will melt more easily than chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate or bittersweet chocolate.
- Heavy cream: full fat si possible et à température ambiante.
- Vegetable oil: optional to add to the liquid ganache to thin it out and make it shinier. Use a neutral oil such as sunflower oil, canola oil or grape seed oil.
You will find all the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card found further down on this page.
How to make this chocolate bundt cake with sour cream
1 - Cake batter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 175°C and grease a 6-8 cups / 20 cm diameter bundt cake pan with non-stick spray or butter.
- In a medium bowl mix together the dry ingredients, flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl place the butter with the brown sugar, white sugar and vanilla extract and beat at medium speed with an electric whisk for about 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Add the eggs one by one, and beat for a few seconds to incorporate them well.
- Then add the sour cream, flour mixture, coffee, and add chocolate chips and mix gently with a rubber spatula.
Tip: Grease the pan perfectly or twice with a spray or butter, making sure to get into every nook and cranny.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 40-50 minutes.
- Check the cooking with a toothpick inserted in the center which must come out clean, if not extend the time by a few minutes.
- Let the chocolate chip bundt cake cool completely in the pan before unmolding then let it cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Place the chocolate bundt cake on a large serving plate before adding the chocolate glaze following the directions below.
Tip: Let the cake completely cooled or for at least 20 minutes in the pan before unmolding to avoid damage.
How to make the chocolate glaze
Prepare the chocolate glaze just before serving. I recommend using semi-sweet chocolate baking chocolate that melts more easily with heavy cream.
The ratio is simple, half and half, to which you can add a teaspoon of vegetable oil for a shiny glaze.
For the process, you can either use the microwave to heat all the ingredients or over a double boiler, which is what I prefer and explain here because I can control the texture of the glaze and not overheat the chocolate.
In a double boiler
Place the chopped chocolate or chocolate chips with the heavy cream and oil in a bowl and place over a saucepan containing a little water. The water should not come in contact with the bowl, the steam will melt the ingredients.
Heat over medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the chocolate is completely melted and you have a fluid mixture without lumps and very smooth.
Use the chocolate glaze immediately on your cake, you can reheat it a bit in the microwave if you find the texture thickens.
Storage and freezing
At room temperature: You can store this cake at room temperature in a storage box or under plastic wrap, but since its texture is quite moist, I suggest you keep it in the refrigerator instead.
How to freeze it ? For a longer conservation, this chocolate bundt cake can be kept in the freezer for up to 3 months, well covered with plastic wrap or in a conservation box.
To defrost, simply let it cool down in the fridge or at room temperature or use the defrost function of your microwave to go faster.
More chocolate cake
More loaf cake recipes
- Moist banana bread recipe
- Chocolate chip banana bread
- Double chocolate banana bread
- Chocolate banana muffins
- Banana walnut bread
- Carrot bread with cream cheese icing
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print