The Belgian Liege waffles recipe, homemade and easy, they are soft, crispy and with pearl sugar, it's a perfect snack!
The Belgian waffles
The recipe of the Belgian waffles, also called sugar waffles, are of Belgian origin, more precisely from the city of Liège. And homemade it is a real treat!
Why make this Belgian waffles recipe
- They are tasty, perfect for any occasion.
- Homemade they are quick and easy to make.
- Tasty with on powdered sugar, chocolate or ice cream the kids love them!
My material for this recipe
To make this recipe of Liège waffles, you will need few but essential materials:
- A waffle maker (always useful for lots of recipes and not only waffles!)
- Belgian Pearl sugar (essential in this recipe)
How to make Belgian waffles?
A very easy and quick preparation, with only 1 hour of laying time and a few minutes for cooking.
How to make Liège waffles dough
- Start by rehydrating the dry baker's yeast in the milk which you can slightly warm and
- let it rest for 5 minutes. (the effect of the heat will activate the yeast and it will grow faster, but be careful not to heat too much or it will kill the yeast).
- Pour the dry ingredients, flour, salt and powdered sugar into the bowl of your stand mixer with the hook.
- Then incorporate the milk containing the yeast and mix at medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Finish by adding the diced butter and continue to knead for a few minutes until the dough is homogeneous and smooth.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave to grow for 1 hour at room temperature.
- After the sprouting add the Belgian pearl sugar and mix again for a few moments.
Baking the waffles
How to bake the waffles
- For baking, I use an electric Belgian waffle maker, a rather simple model that I also use to make waffles, club sandwiches, toasts ...
- Place a ball of dough in the center of each cavity of the waffle iron, close it and cook for about 3-5 minutes, until they are golden brown.
- Let your waffles cool down and enjoy immediately, with powdered sugar or chocolate icing 😉
How to store the waffles
Liège waffles can be kept at room temperature for 3 to 5 days, you can also place them in the freezer and keep them for up to 3 months.