The ultimate creamy, chocolatey homemade hot chocolate recipe! This drink is so comforting and so easy to make, with unsweetened cocoa powder and real chocolate, giving it even more flavor and an ultra creamy texture. And a creamy cloud with a light, homemade whipped cream.
Best program to face winter and the cold days ❄️ ? A Christmas movie, a plaid and a comforting hot drink 🥰 ! And it's perfect timing because I have the best homemade hot chocolate recipe for you.
The difference between this drink and the one you prepare for your children at breakfast with cocoa mix is that here it is a real homemade hot chocolate!
Made with milk instead of water in combination with unsweetened cocoa powder and chocolate chips or chopped chocolate which gives it that thick and delicious creamy texture and that ultra rich chocolate taste.
Amazingly easy and quick to prepare, this drink requires only a few ingredients that you all have in your cupboards. And if you have 10 minutes you can enjoy this hot drink in a warm place with your loved ones.
Ingredients to make a good homemade hot chocolate
- Milk: Use milk instead of water for a creamier texture, whole milk or 2% milk. (For an even creamier, thicker texture make a mixture of half milk and half heavy cream.
- Cocoa powder: unsweetened and not the breakfast one with lots of sugar in it.
- Sugar: use granulated sugar, and if you can, choose a flavored sugar like brown sugar for more flavor.
- Chocolate: chunks or chocolate chip, use a semi-sweet chocolate or for a stronger taste a bittersweet chocolate.
- Vanilla extract: (optional) powdered or liquid vanilla extract or the seeds of ½ vanilla bean.
Faqs- Frequently asked questions about hot chocolate recipe
You can make a good hot chocolate with semi-sweet chocolate. For a chocolate with a stronger taste, choose a bittersweet one with at least 64% or 70% but not more.
For a thicker and creamier texture, make a mixture of half milk and half heavy cream.
Replace the milk by a vegetable drink (almond milk, soy milk) like my almond milk chocolate recipe, remove the sugar and use a less sweet chocolate.
Add spices such as ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
How to make real hot chocolate recipe
Place unsweetened cocoa powder with powdered sugar and vanilla (optional) in a saucepan.
Pour the milk on top and heat over medium heat until it boils.
Then add the chocolate pieces and stir until they are completely melted.
Pour the hot chocolate into your cups.
Homemade whipped cream
- Place heavy cream and confectioner's sugar in a bowl.
- Beat with an electric whisk for 3-4 minutes at medium speed until you have a thick whipped cream.
- Pour the whipped cream over the hot chocolate, sprinkle with cocoa meal and add marshmallows.
- Serve hot.
My best hot chocolate toppings :
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup
- Mini marshmallows
- Crushed peppermint
- Homemade chocolate chips
- Salted caramel sauce
- Cacao powder
- Crushed chocolate
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!
Homemade hot chocolate recipe with whipped cream
- 500 ml Milk
- 1 tbsp Cocoa powder - unsweetened
- 1 tbsp Powdered sugar
- 100 g Chocolate - semi-sweet or bittersweet
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract - optional, powder or liquid
- 200 ml Heavy cream - cold
- 1 tbsp Confectionner's sugar - sifted
- Place unsweetened cocoa powder with powdered sugar and vanilla (optional) in a saucepan.
- Add the milk and heat over medium heat until it boils.
- Stir the chocolate pieces into the hot milk and mix to melt and until smooth.
- Pour the hot chocolate into your cups.
- Place the cold heavy cream with the sifted confectioner's sugar in a bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer for about 3-4 minutes at medium speed until you have a thick whipped cream.
- Pour the whipped cream over the hot chocolate and decorate with cocoa powder and marshmallows.
You can store hot chocolate in the fridge for 2-3 days and reheat it in the saucepan or microwave.
- Thicker hot chocolate: Make a 1:1 mixture of semi-skimmed milk and full heavy cream.
- A less chocolatey drink: Reduce the amount of chocolate by ⅓.
- A less sweet drink: Remove the powdered sugar and use a less sweet chocolate (64% or 70%)