This recipe si the ultimate creamy, chocolatey homemade hot chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream! This drink is so comforting and so easy to make, with unsweetened cocoa powder and real dark chocolate, giving it even more flavor and an ultra creamy texture.
Best hot chocolate
Best program to face winter and the cold winter days ❄️ ? A Christmas movie, plaid and a comforting warm drink 🥰 ! And it's perfect timing because I have the best homemade hot chocolate recipe for you.
This warm chocolate drink is certainly the most appreciated drink by everyone, children and grown-ups alike. It is a delicious chocolate drink that can be drunk both hot and iced, there are so many different recipes that everyone can find something they like.
Often made with a mixture of cocoa, chocolate, and milk to which sugar can be added and often we put marshmallows that perfectly match this drink.
Amazingly easy and quick to prepare, this drink requires only a few ingredients that you all have in your cupboards. And if you have 10 minutes you can enjoy this hot drink in a warm place with your loved ones.
Hot Chocolate vs Cocoa drink
At home, my children do not start their day without a good warm chocolate drink. But often and for lack of time, we prepare milk with cocoa mix.
But the latter in reality is very often composed of a lot of sugar and not much cocoa. This recipe is a real hot chocolate prepared with real chocolate and it makes all the difference in the texture and in the flavor.
We also use whole milk or a mixture of milk and heavy cream instead of water, which can be found in some recipes that when combined with chocolate gives a very creamy and smooth texture.
Tip: Make this recipe with vegetable milk by following my homemade almond milk recipe ready in 10 minutes.
Ingredients to make hot chocolate
- Milk: Use milk instead of water for a creamier texture, whole milk or 2% milk. (For an even creamier, thicker texture make a mixture of half milk and half heavy cream).
- Cocoa powder: unsweetened and not the breakfast one with lots of sugar in it.
- Sugar: use granulated sugar, and if you can, choose a flavored sugar like brown sugar for more flavor. And for a healthier drink a natural sugar like maple syrup or honey.
- Chocolate: Use semi-sweet chocolate chips or baked chocolate and for a stronger taste a bittersweet chocolate. You can also replace dark chocolate with milk chocolate and even white chocolate.
- Vanilla extract: powdered or liquid vanilla extract or the seeds of ½ vanilla bean.
How to make hot chocolate with marshmallows and whipped cream
1 - Make the real hot chocolate
- Place unsweetened cocoa powder with powdered sugar and vanilla (optional) in a saucepan.
- Pour the milk on top and heat over medium heat until it boil.
- Then add the chocolate pieces and stir until they are completely melted.
- Boil on low heat for about 5 minutes while stirring occasionally with a spoon.
- Pour the chocolate milk into your mug.
Tip: Let cool slightly before serving with whipped cream and marshmallows.
2 - Homemade Whipped Cream
- Place heavy cream and confectioner's sugar in a medium bowl.
- Beat with an electric whisk for 3-4 minutes at medium speed until you have a thick whipped cream.
Tip: Prepare the whipped cream at the last moment, you can use a milk frother for small quantities.
3 - Add marshmallows and your favorite treat
- Pour the whipped cream over the hot chocolate, sprinkle with cocoa powder and add marshmallows.
- And enjoy!
More tasty toppings to add to your mug:
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup
- Mini marshmallows
- Crushed peppermint
- Homemade chocolate chips
- Salted caramel sauce
- Cacao powder
- Crushed chocolate
- Sugar sprinkles
Frequently asked questions about the hot chocolate recipe
You can make your chocolate drink with semi-sweet chocolate. For chocolate with a stronger taste, choose a bittersweet one with at least 64% or 70% but not more.
For a thicker and creamier texture, make a mixture of half milk and half heavy cream.
Replace the milk with a vegetable drink (almond milk, soy milk) remove the sugar and use less sweet chocolate.
You can keep it in the fridge for 3 to 5 days in a bottle with a lid.
More latte and chocolate drinks recipes
- Vanilla chai tea latte
- Homemade chocolate almond milk
- Latte macchiato recipe
- Golden milk latte
- Dalgona coffee recipe
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print