Whip up a cozy delight in minutes with our Hot Cocoa Mug Cake! Pop it in the microwave for a quick treat or a kid-friendly breakfast. Top it off with gooey marshmallows for an extra indulgent twist!
Why we love chocolate mug cake
Indulge in the comforting warmth of a hot cocoa mug cake made with rich hot chocolate mix. This single-serving chocolate cake is a chocolate lover's dream, complete with decadent chocolate chips for the perfect treat.
The hot chocolate mug cake is a year-round favorite, perfect for kids' breakfasts and holiday season treats alike. As comforting as hot chocolate bombs, it delivers a delightful sweet treat dessert quickly.
Moreover, this hot chocolate mug cake recipe is not only convenient but also incredibly easy to whip up; all you require is a mug and a tablespoon for measuring. What makes it even more enticing is that this hot chocolate mug cake is completely egg-free and can be prepared in just 3 minutes, all without the need to fire up your oven!
Simply combine all the ingredients for this hot chocolate mug cake, pop it in the microwave, and finish it off with your preferred toppings, whether it's mini marshmallows, a drizzle of chocolate sauce, a dollop of whipped cream, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Chocolate lovers: The hot cocoa mug cake recipe combines the rich, comforting taste of hot cocoa with the delightful texture of a cake, creating a satisfying dessert that's perfect for satisfying cravings.
- Quick dessert: This recipe offers a quick and convenient way to enjoy a warm and chocolaty treat within minutes, making it an ideal choice for those moments when you need a swift dose of sweetness.
- Customizable Fun: With the ability to customize your hot cocoa mug cake with your favorite toppings like marshmallows, chocolate sauce, or ice cream, it adds a playful and personal touch to your dessert experience.
More Mug Cake Recipes
Ingredients and substitutions
*You will find the quantities and complete instructions in the recipe card at the end of the page.
- Flour: You can use all-purpose flour for a traditional texture, or opt for gluten-free alternatives like rice flour or oat flour if you have dietary restrictions.
- Sugar: The choice of sugar can influence the flavor of your hot chocolate mug cake. White granulated sugar works well, but you can experiment with flavored options like brown sugar or cane sugar for a unique twist.
- Hot Cocoa Powder: To infuse your cake with a rich chocolatey taste, choose you favorite hot cocoa mix. Brands like Nesquik are readily available, but you can also go for premium options like Ghirardelli cocoa mix for even more chocolate flavor.
- Baking Powder: Proper measurement of baking powder is crucial to ensure your cake rises perfectly, so be precise when adding this ingredient.
- Salt: Don't skip the salt, as it plays a vital role in enhancing the overall flavor profile of your mug cake.
- Milk: Whether you prefer dairy or plant-based milk, both work well in this recipe, so go with your personal preference.
- Vegetable Oil: A neutral oil like sunflower, grape seed oil, or coconut oil is ideal. However, if you prefer a richer flavor, you can replace the oil with melted butter.
- Vanilla: While vanilla extract is optional, it can add a delightful hint of flavor to your cake.
- Chocolate Chips: For all the chocolate enthusiasts out there, you can enhance the indulgence by incorporating dark chocolate or milk chocolate chips.
What Type of Mug Is Best for Making Mug Cakes?
When choosing a mug for your mug cake, opt for a microwave-safe mug that can hold at least 12 ounces (350 ml) of liquid. A large mug allows your cake to rise without overflowing during cooking. It's also a good idea to use a wide and shallow mug rather than a tall one, as it helps the cake cook more evenly.
If you plan to make mug cakes regularly, consider investing in microwave-safe, ceramic mugs designed for this purpose, which often come in various fun and colorful designs to brighten up your baking experience.
How to make the best hot chocolate mug cake
Mix the dry ingredients
- Place the dry ingredients into a large coffee mug, flour, granulated sugar, salt, baking powder and sweetened hot cocoa mix.
- Mix with a tablespoon until well blended.
Add the wet ingredients
- Add all liquid ingredients, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
- Mix with the tablespoon to obtain a smooth batter.
- Add the chocolate chips and mix again just until incorporated.
Microwave the mug cake
- Microwave cake at 600-800 watts for 1 minute.
- Check the doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center; it should come out with crumbs. If the batter is still liquid, continue cooking in 10-15-second intervals, but no more, until it's cooked in the center.
- Let it cool for a moment, then add your toppings and enjoy.
Best toppings for your cocoa mix mug cake
Mix and match these serving suggestions to satisfy your sweet tooth and create a personalized, perfect cup of hot chocolate mug cake experience!
- Toppings Galore: Sprinkle your mug cake with a variety of toppings like mini marshmallows, crushed nuts, or shredded coconut for added texture and flavor.
- Drizzle Delight: Elevate your mug cake with a drizzle of chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, or raspberry coulis to create a delightful contrast of flavors.
- Ice Cream: Top your warm mug cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a scoop of your favorite ice cream flavor for an irresistible treat.
- Fresh Fruit: Pair your hot chocolate mug cake with fresh berries, banana slices, or a dollop of whipped cream to balance the richness with a hint of freshness.
- Nutty Crunch: Add a satisfying crunch by garnishing your mug cake with chopped nuts like almonds, pecans, or walnuts.
- Extra Cocoa Bliss: Dust your hot chocolate mug cake with light cocoa powder or powdered sugar for an extra touch of elegance.
- Spread the Joy: Smear a generous layer of your favorite spread, such as Nutella, peanut butter, or almond butter, on top of your hot chocolate mug cake for an extra layer of indulgence.
Tips for this recipe
- Choose the Right Mug: Use a microwave-safe mug that's at least 12 ounces (1 ½ cups) in capacity to prevent overflow during cooking.
- Sift Dry Ingredients: Sift the flour, hot cocoa mix, baking powder, and sugar to ensure a smoother texture.
- Measure Accurately: Pay attention to precise measurements, especially for baking powder and salt, to avoid any undesirable taste.
- Mix Thoroughly: Stir the batter until all ingredients are well combined and no lumps remain.
- Don't Overfill: Fill the mug with batter only halfway to allow room for the cake to rise without spilling over.
- Microwave in Intervals: Cook for 1 full minute, then extend cooking time in 30-second intervals to avoid overheating, checking the cake's doneness with a toothpick after each interval.
- Let It Rest: Allow the mug cake to cool for a minute or two before indulging to prevent burns.
- Enjoy Warm: Mug cakes are best enjoyed warm, so dig in while it's still cozy!
Did you make this recipe?
Remember to drop a ⭐️ 5-star rating 🙏 and share your thoughts in the comments! Stay updated with more delicious recipes by following @sweetlycakes on Instagram. If you whip up this recipe, make sure to tag me – I'd love to see your creation!Print