How to make the best and super easy chocolate chip mug cake recipe ready in just 3 minutes. This mug cake recipe is made without eggs and baked in a microwave. You will have a perfectly soft and moist cake with all the flavors of your favorite chocolate chip cookies.
Chocolate chip Mug cake is so perfect to make for breakfast or for your little cravings of the day.
What is a mug cake?
The mug cake is more and more popular and very trendy, it is simply as its name indicates a cake cooked in a mug. To make it simple, it is the best way to make a special treat on your own.
What we love most about mug cake recipes is that you can really make them with all the possible flavors like here with my chocolate chips cookie in a mug cake recipe.
They are so quick and easy to make at home, with basic ingredients, mixed directly in the mug and then baked in the microwave.
All you need is a mug and a microwave and in 3 minutes you'll have a delicious moist and soft cake perfect for an instant breakfast or if you have a sweet craving during the day.
More Mug Cake Recipes
Why you love this recipe
My chocolate chip mug cake is delicious and as tasty as my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe on the blog. It is simply a very flavorful basic recipe perfumed with brown sugar in which we add chocolate chips.
This chocolate chip cake recipe is made with simple ingredients and you won't need eggs for this recipe. The quantities are calculated to make a single mug cake and it will have the perfect soft and moist texture.
This chocolate chip cake in a mug it is my favorite recipe when I have a craving that I easily put 5 stars as its so delicious!
She is amazing eaten with a spoon when slightly warm and if you are in the right mood, don't be shy about adding an extra topping like whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Ingredients and substitutions
Here is an overview of the ingredients needed and possible substitutions to make this vanilla chocolate chip mug cake at home, scroll down the page to see the quantities in the recipe card.
- Flour: Use cake flour or even all-purpose flour. You can use rice flour to make a gluten-free version.
- Brown sugar: To sweeten this recipe use only granulated sugar such as brown sugar.
- Baking powder: Baking powder is essential as the recipe does not contain eggs to make the cake rise.
- Salt: A small pinch of salt is essential to bring out all the flavors, use fine salt or fleur de sel.
- Milk: Milk helps to moisten and bind the ingredients, you can use cow's milk or for vegans vegetable milk like almond milk.
- Vanilla: liquid vanilla extract to flavor the recipe.
- Butter: This chocolate chip cake is made with butter which adds a delicious flavor like in cookie recipes, use unsalted and melted butter. You can replace the butter with a vegetable oil such as sunflower oil.
- Chocolate chips: small chocolate chips or pieces of baked chocolate.
Find the chocolate chip cake mug quantities and instructions in the recipe card below in this page.
How to make the chocolate chip mug cake recipe
1 - Mix the dry ingredients
- Place the dry ingredients directly into the mug, flour, brown sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Mix with a tablespoon to get a homogeneous mixture so that the yeast is well dispersed.
Tip: You can make this chocolate chip mug cake recipe directly in the mug or make the mixture in a small bowl and then pour it into the mug.
2 - Add the wet ingredients
- Then add all wet ingredients, melted butter, vanilla extract and milk.
- Stir again with a spoon just until the mixture is smooth without lumps.
3 - Baking
- Finish by adding the chocolate chips at the end and stir again to incorporate them.
- Sprinkle a few more chocolate chips on top before cooking the mug cake in the microwave for about 1 minute to 1 minute 30 and no more.
- Let the mug cake cool a bit before enjoying it a slightly warmed up with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Cooking tip: Avoid overcooking the mug cake to prevent it from drying out as it cools. The duration will depend on the power of the microwave oven, for me, it was perfect at 1m15 (with an 800 watts microwave oven).
Tips for successful mug cakes
To make a perfect mug cake, in addition to having the right balance of ingredients, it is necessary to follow the indications and these tips that will help you to make a perfect success of this recipe:
- Measure your ingredients properly - and always use the same utensil, in this case a tablespoon to make it simple.
- Stir in the baking powder - so that the baking powder is well distributed and the cake puffs up well during baking.
- Don't overmix: After adding the liquid ingredients, mix just enough to get a smooth mixture.
- Be careful with the baking: The more it is baked the drier it will be, it is better if it is less baked as it will still bake in the mug after the baking time in the microwave.
Mix all the ingredients well, starting with the dry ingredients, then add the liquids and avoid overmixing or overcooking the mug cake.
No it is not necessary to add egg in the mug cake, the batter is balanced enough to obtain a homogeneous mixture and rises well after cooking.
It's mostly the addition of the baking powder in the ingredients that helps the mug cake rise during baking.
Yes it is possible to use the oven to bake the mug cake, in a preheated oven at 350°F / 180°C for about 10 minutes.
More mug cake recipes
Did you like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it and leave me a review in the comments! And to not miss any recipes follow @sweetlycakes on Instagram and tag me to share it if you make this recipe 😊!Print