Delicious recipe for a homemade Buche de Noël (yule log), easy and quick to make with a chocolate sponge cake, a hazelnut praline whipped ganache and a chocolate praline crisp (for 8-10 serving)
Whipped hazelnut praline ganache
- 150 g (1 cup) White chocolate
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cups) Heavy cream - divided in 2 - Full fat
- 75 g Hazelnut praline paste
Viennese chocolate sponge cake
- 4 Eggs - room temperature
- 100 g (1/2 cup) Sugar - granulated
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 60 g (1/2 cup) Flour - all-purpose
- 30 g (1/4 cup) Cocoa powder - bitter and unsweetened
Crunchy hazelnut praline
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Spread the mixture on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper to a thickness of about 5 mm in the shape of a large rectangle
- Place in the fridge to firm up the praline crisp then cut with a large knife to obtain a rectangle of about 4 inch / 10 cm wide by 12 inch / 30 cm long.
Whipped hazelnut Praline ganache
- Chop the white chocolate finely with a knife and place it in a container.
- Place half of the heavy cream with the praline paste in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Pour it all at once over the white chocolate and mix with a wooden spoon or spatula until the mixture is liquid and smooth without lumps.
- Add the other half of the heavy cream and mix, cover with cling film and place in the fridge for one night (or 1 hour in the freezer)
- Before assembling, place the cold ganache in the bowl of a mixer and beat on medium speed for about 3 minutes until you have a smooth ganache.
Viennese chocolate sponge cake
- In a bowl, mix together the cocoa powder and flour.
- Preheat the oven to 355°F / 180°C and prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and whisk them with an electric whisk until stiff and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/3 of the stiffly beaten whites and fold in with a spatula.
- Add the dry ingredients, flour and cocoa through a sieve and fold in gently with a spatula.
- Finish by adding the remaining egg whites and fold in gently with a spatula.
- Pour the batter onto your parchment paper-lined baking sheet and spread in an even layer along the length of the sheet.
- Bake for about 8 to 10 min max and let cool slightly for a few minutes.
- Gently peel the soft chocolate sponge off the parchment paper and place it on a clean sheet of parchment paper.
- Trim the edges with a knife to make a straight rectangle and let it cool for a few more minutes.
- Garnish the inside of the chocolate sponge with a layer of whipped ganache spread over the entire surface and roll the log lengthwise as tightly as possible and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Place the log on a dish or baking tray and cover entirely with ganache and decorate with chocolate shavings.
Conservation: about 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: bundt cake, Dessert
- Cuisine: american
- Calories: 333
- Sugar: 26
- Sodium: 52
- Fat: 21
- Saturated Fat: 12
- Carbohydrates: 34
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 6
- Cholesterol: 110
Keywords: Buche de Noël, Christmas log, Yule Log, hazelnut yule log,