The lemon pound cake recipe, is an extrat moist and melting cake, lightly flavoured with lemon and low in sugar. Served with a layer of lemon glaze, this is an easy loaf cake recipe made with simple and natural ingredients and it's a perfect anytime cake !
You are a lemon dessert lover ? And are looking for a lemon flavoured super moist cake? This is the ultimate lemon cake recipe! A perfect pound cake texture, both melt-in-your-mouth and moist, lightly lemony and so quick and easy to make.
Lemon pound cake
A lemon pound cake, is an extra moist cake, baked in a rectangular loaf cake pan or in a bundt cake pan.
It has the particularity of having a melting and super moist texture. It can be perfumed with so much flavor, the known splus are lemon, blueberry. But best of all, this kind of cake can be stored for a very long time at room temperature.
It is generally composed of simple and natural ingredients, flour, sugar, eggs, butter and flavoured with natural juice and lemon zeste.
This cake is really easy to make and does not require a lot of equipment, which makes it a really great recipe for any occasions !
Best Lemon Cake
in a few words, it is the best lemon cake, such an exceptional texture, perfectly dosed in lemon, and just sweetened.
- Extra moist and soft
- Easy and quick dessert
- Lighter in sugar, just enough to stabilize the acidity of the lemon
- Perfectly buttered texture
Useful tools for this recipe
- Loaf cake pan, or a bundt cake mould which is a very similar cake
- Spatula or wooden spoon to mix the dough, you can also use your cake mixer or an electric mixer to make this recipe.
- Zester, if you don't have one use a cheese grater.
- Citrus press, to extract the juice of the lemon easily
- Untreated yellow lemons, to take the juice and zest and to flavour this pound cake.
- White powdered sugar, but you can also make it with unrefined sugar, like cane sugar.
- Melted soft butter, it blends better with the other ingredients.
- All purpose cake flour.
- Eggs at room temperature.
- Baking powder, for a soft lemon cake
- Salt, just a pinch to bring out all the flavors.
- Confectionners sugar, to make the lemon icing glaze.
How to make a lemon pound cake
Make the lemon cake batter
- Line à 10 inch loaf cake pan with parchment paper or a grease and flour it.
- Mix the sugar with the lemon zest taken with a zester.
- Stir the melted butter into the container containing the powdered sugar and mix with a hand whisk.
- Add the eggs one at a time while continuing to mix between each addition.
- Stir in the juice of the squeezed lemon and mix again with a whisk.
- Add the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt and mix with a whisk until you obtain a smooth and homogeneous cake dough.
- Fill the lined loaf cake pan with the lemon cake batter.
- Bake the cake in a preheated oven at half height for the time indicated in the recipe sheet.
- Let your lemon cake cool down for a few minutes before unmoulding it and let it cool completely on a cake rack.
Make the lemon glaze
- Put the powdered sugar in a small container.
- Add the liquid, lemon juice or water in very small amounts until a thick but runny icing is obtained.
How to serve the lemon cake
Wait until the lemon cake is completely cooled. (or place it in the fridge if you prefer it cold).
And just before serving, pour the icing flowing over the top and decorate with lemon.
You can add to your dessert a light topping to sweeten the taste of the lemon like whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
How to Store Lemon Cake
It can easily be stored for several at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Remember to cover it with cling film or a tea towel to prevent it from drying out and keep its softness.
And it can also be stored easily in the freezer for up to 3 months. Place the slices in freezer bags.
Other cake recipes
Don't forget to tag me @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make this lemon pound cake recipe and to add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog 😉
Lemon pound cake
For the lemon cake
- 150 g whole sugar - or brown sugar / cane sugar
- 250 g flour
- 205 g butter
- 5 egg
- 1 zest lemon
- ½ juice lemon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
For the sugar icing
- 150 g icing sugar
- juice lemon
Lemon cake preparation
- Preheat your oven to 338°F and line a 9 - 10 inch loaf cake pan tin with baking paper.
- In a bowl, place the sugar and the zest of a yellow lemon, then add the melted butter and mix.
- Then add the eggs one by one, stirring gently, and finish with the lemon juice.
- Then add the dry ingredients, flour, salt and baking powder.
- Always mix delicately, until a homogeneous and smooth cake machine is obtained.
- Pour the dough into your cake tin and bake in the oven for about 50 min.
- Let your cake cool before unmolding.
Sugar icing preparation
- In a small bowl, place the powdered sugar.
- Using a teaspoon, add a very small amount of lemon juice (or water) until a runny glaze is obtained.
- Pour the sugar icing on top of the cake and decorate with yellow lemon.