The easy lemon pound cake is the perfect moist with a rich buttery taste recipe. We like this dessert with a acidic taste and fondant it is a real sweetness in mouth very easy to prepare and served with its lemon sugar glaze.
You are a lemon dessert lover ? And are looking for a lemon flavoured super moist cake? This is the best glazed lemon cake recipe! A perfect pound cake texture, moist, buttery and lemon flavored.
Lemon pound cake
If you're familiar with pound cakes, you're probably already know these rectangular shaped cakes with a texture that no one can resist. Very trendy, they also come in a variety of flavors such as vanilla pound cake, chocolate pound cake or like here with this easy lemon pound cake version.
What particularly defines most pound cakes is the unique texture and the incomparable melting of their moist, dense and buttery texture. And if you add to that a flavor like a light acid taste of lemon and a sugar glaze also flavored with fresh lemon then you have a perfect cake.
This dessert is a favorite of all and even its acid taste does not repulse the most sensitive. We like to make it for special occasions or just family moments, served with a light whipped cream or vanilla ice cream to sweeten its tangy taste.
In addition this moist lemon pound cake is really an easy recipe to follow and it requires only one lemon and ingredients that we all have in our kitchen.
Why choose this Lemon pound Cake
- Extra moist whit a rich buttery texture
- Easy recipe
- Slightly acidic taste
Useful tools for this recipe
- Loaf cake pan, or a bundt pan which is a very similar cake
- Spatula or wooden spoon to mix the dough, you can also use your cake mixer or an electric mixer to make this recipe.
- Zester, if you don't have one use a cheese grater.
- Citrus press, to extract the juice of the lemon easily
For this recipe, use all-purpose wheat flour and measure the quantities with an electronic kitchen scale because the right amount of flour plays an important role in the moist texture of the lemon cake.
Butter is an essential ingredient that gives this lemon cake its moist and rich buttery texture. Use quality unsalted butter at room temperature or slightly softened but not melted.
Use only fine white granulated sugar if possible so that it dissolves well in the preparation. Avoid using flavored sugars such as brown sugar or cane sugar which may alter the taste of the lemon.
Use medium sized eggs at room temperature to obtain a smooth batter.
Tip: If you didn't have time to get your eggs out, run them under hot water for a few moments before using them in your recipe.
Lemon zest and fresh lemon juice
They contribute to the flavor and tanginess of this cake, use the zest of an organic lemon and fresh lemon juice.
Tips: If you don't like the acidic taste of lemon, simply reduce the amount of lemon juice in the recipe.
The high acidity of buttermilk helps balance the taste in this recipe and adds sweetness and softness to the lemon cake. You can replace the butter with half milk and half sour cream or Greek yogurt.
Salt and vanilla extract
Salt is a flavor enhancer and helps bring out all the flavors and the vanilla brings an extra flavor to this recipe.
How to make the easy lemon pound cake
Lemon pound cake batter
Start by preheating the oven to 338°F / 170°C and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
In a small bowl mix together the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. Then in another bowl mix together liquid ingredients, buttermilk, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
Then place the softened butter in the bowl of your hand mixer or with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat the butter, powdered sugar and lemon zest at high speed for about 2 minutes until you obtain a smooth and creamy preparation.
Lower to medium speed and incorporate the eggs one by one while leaving the mixer running until they are well incorporated and a homogeneous preparation is obtained.
Then gradually and at a slow speed incorporate alternately the mixture of dry ingredients and the mixture of liquid ingredients and until you obtain a homogeneous cake batter without lumps.
Then pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake in the oven at half height for about 50 minutes to 1 hour. The lemon cake will be ready when it has a golden color, you can check the cooking by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake and if it comes out clean, it is cooked enough.
Let the lemon cake cool completely in the pan before removing from the pan.
Place confectioner's sugar in a small bowl, gradually add lemon juice and mix with a fork until smooth and thick.
Pour lemon sugar glaze over the lemon pound cake just before serving.
How to Store Lemon Cake
At room temperature
This lemon loaf cake is best stored at room temperature for about a week in a storage box so that it keeps its moist and tender texture. But if you prefer it cold you can keep it in the fridge.
In the freezer
For a long conservation, cut it in slices and place them in bags of conservation and in the freezer until 3 months.
To defrost, let your lemon cake come back to room temperature or use the defrost function of your microwave.
Tips for a successful moist lemon pound cake
- Ingredients at room temperature: Use ingredients at room temperature to get a cake batter with a perfect, even texture after baking.
- Do not over mix the batter: Especially after adding the flour, which if over mixed can change the final texture of the cake, which will lose its softness and fondant.
- Grease your baking pan very well : Use a grease spray or even parchment paper for a perfect release.
- Be careful with the baking process : Watch the cake as it cooks, if it is overcooked it will be too dry and if it is undercooked it will be too soft. And check by inserting a toothpick in the center which should come out clean which indicates that it is well done in the center
- Let your cake cool: Let your lemon pound cake completly cool before removing from the pan and serving.
Other lemon recipe
And if you are a lemon and tangy dessert lover, here is a selection of other recipes using lemon:
Don't forget to tag me @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make this lemon pound cake recipe and to add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog 😉
Easy Lemon pound cake
For the lemon cake
- 185 g flour
- 200 g Granulated sugar
- 160 g Butter - softened
- 3 egg
- 1 zest lemon
- 1 juice lemon - about 40 ml
- 120 ml Buttermilk
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the sugar icing
- 150 g icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
Lemon cake preparation
- Preheat your oven to 338°F and line a 8 - 9 inch loaf cake pan with parchement paper.
- In a bowl mix together the dry ingredients, flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- And in another bowl mix together the liquid ingredients, buttermilk, lemon juice and vanilla.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer or stand mixer, place the softened butter, sugar and lemon zest and beat on high speed for about 2-3 minutes until creamy and smooth.
- Then reduce speed to medium and add the eggs one by one, mixing between each addition until you have a smooth dough.
- Finish by adding the dry and liquid mixtures to the batter while keeping the mixer running at low speed. Mix gently until you obtain a smooth and creamy batter.
- Then pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and lightly smooth the top. Bake in the oven for about 50 - 60 minutes.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the center of the cake, which should come out clean if the cake is well done, otherwise extend the baking time by 5 minutes.
- Let your cake cool completely in its mold before unmolding it.
Lemon icing glaze
- Place confectioner's sugar in a small bowl and gradually stir in lemon juice while mixing with a whisk or fork until you have a thick but fluid glaze to use on your cake.
- Pour the lemon glaze over your lemon cake just before serving.