Strawberry vanilla cake white strawberry filling made with buttermilk and egg whites cake, a strawberry puree filling and Swiss meringue buttercream (for a 6 inches/ 15 cm cake about 8-10 slices).
Vanilla white cake
- 300 g (2 1/3 cups) Cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 150 g (2/3 cup) Butter - unsalted and softened
- 290 g (1 1/2 cups) Sugar - granulated and extra fine
- 5 Egg whites - at room temperature approx.175g
- 2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 220 ml (1 cup) Buttermilk - or plain yogurt
Swiss meringue buttercream
- 8 Egg whites
- 220 g Sugar - granulated
- 350 g Butter - softened
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract or seeds from a vanilla bean
- Preheat the oven to 329°F/165°C and line 3 round cake pans, each 6 inches/ 15 cm in diameter, with baking parchment only on the bottom.
- In a large bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, or in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the softened butter with the sugar at medium speed for about 3 minutes, until creamy and smooth.
- Add the vanilla extract and egg whites one by one, continuing to mix at medium speed then beat at high speed for approx. 3-5 minutes until smooth.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients and buttermilk alternately and in batches, mixing gently with a spatula until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide the cake batter between the 3 prepared cake pans and bake for around 30 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Check for doneness by plunging a toothpick or knife blade into the center of the cake; it should come out clean, with no crumbs or liquid batter, indicating that the cake is done.
- Leave the cakes to cool slightly in their pans before removing them from the pans and leaving them to cool completely, upside down, on a wire rack.
- Wrap your cakes in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours before assembling.
Follow the strawberry purée recipe and leave to cool completely in the fridge.
Swiss buttercream frosting
Follow the Swiss meringue buttercream recipe and leave at room temperature until ready to assemble.
Assembling the Layer Cake
- Using a sponge knife and a sponge cake leveler, cut out the bumps and remove the crusts, if necessary, from the 3 cake layers.
- Place a first layer of cake on a cake board, then on a cake turntable.
- Apply buttercream frosting around the edges to form a boudin and spread also a small layer of buttercream over the cake layer.
- Fill the inside with cooled strawberry filling and top with the second layer of cake, and repeat until you reach the last layer.
- Apply a thin layer of buttercream frosting over the whole cake and smooth with an angled spatula, then place the cake in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Apply a new layer of buttercream frosting over the whole cake and smooth with a stainless steel icing smoother.
- Decorate the top of the cake with the remaining buttercream frosting in a piping bag with a star tip.
- Garnish the top center with strawberry filling and decorate with fresh strawberries before serving.
Storage: In the fridge under plastic wrap or in an airtight container for 3-5 days, or up to 3 months in the freezer.
Add a mascarpone whipped cream between the sponge cakes for a lighter cake, and fresh strawberry pieces for extra flavor.
Replace buttermilk by mixing a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice (about 10 ml) with 200 ml of semi-skimmed milk and leave to stand for a few minutes, it will begin to curdle.
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: cake, birthday cake,
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vanilla cake with strawberry filling, vanilla strawberry cake, strawberry vanilla cake, white cake with strawberry, vanilla and strawberry cake