How to make homemade almond cream filling recipe, a super tasty and super creamy filling with almonds, perfect for pastry and fill tart crust or make almond cream croissant !
If you are new to pastry, you must surely know this delicious almond cream recipe? It is the favorite cream in pastry for tart making.
I'll tell you everything there is to know about this homemade cream, how to make it and in which pastries to use it! It will no longer have any secret for you 😉 !
The almond cream "crème d'amande" is a preparation very much used in pastry making, it is mainly composed of almond meal, hence its name, butter, sugar and eggs.
On the other side of the Atlantic it is called frangipane but it is wrong because the frangipane is composed of a mixture of pastry cream and almond cream.
It is probably the easiest and most famous recipe in French pastry.
In addition to being ultra simple, this cream requires only 10 minutes of preparation time. A butter softened to a creamy consistency into which the other ingredients are integrated.
The ultimate tart cream
This is the ultimate cream for all your tart filling, such as strawberry tart, apple tart, pear tart, or other fruit tart.
In addition to bringing that fluffy texture to your tart crust, it adds an extra almond flavor that pairs perfectly with fruit and chocolate.
But it is also perfect for filling pastries such as almond cream croissants, or in the galette des rois filled with frangipane cream which is composed of pastry cream and almond cream.
In the usual recipe, it is flavored with rum, except here because it is a simple version without alcohol.
And you can flavor it with :
- Cocoa powder or melted chocolate for a chocolate almond cream version.
- Orange blossom
- Vanilla extract
- Chocolate chips
- Cinnamon powder
- Almond extract
Useful tools for this recipe
- Whisk or electric mixer, although this recipe requires very little equipment, using a whisk will result in a smoother cream, you can also use your stand mixer to make this recipe.
- Pastry spatula, handy for handling the cream
- Almond meal, finely blended and blanched or you can take them whole the cream will be only darker.
- Butter unsalted and softened, especially at room temperature so that it blends well with the other ingredients.
- Powdered sugar granulated or or it also works with confectionners sugar, or replace with cane sugar, coconut sugar, etc.
- Eggs, whole, especially at room temperature it is important that all the ingredients are at the same temperature to make this cream.
- Optionally, vanilla extract to flavor the cream, some also add bitter almond extract to enhance the flavor of the almonds
What is also important in this recipe is the ratio between these 4 main ingredients, which is quite simple to remember = 1 : 1 : 1 : 1
For example, for 50g of almond meal, I will add 50g of butter, 50g of sugar and 50 g of egg (about 1 egg).
How to make almond cream
- Beat the butter with the sugar. In a bowl, or in the bowl of your stand mixer, place the softened butter and the sugar and with the whisk mix at medium speed until you obtain a smooth preparation
- Add the almond meal. Then add the almond meal to your preparation and mix again with a whisk to incorporate them well.
- Add the eggs. Finish by adding the eggs one by one, mixing well with a whisk between each addition, until you obtain a smooth and consistent almond cream
How to store almond cream
After preparation, use the cream directly or keep it covered with cling film in the refrigerator for 48 hours maximum.
How to make a successful almond cream recipe
1 - Weigh your ingredients. Including the eggs, it is in the ratio of each ingredient that you will achieve the best cream texture. Eventually it is possible to reduce the amount of sugar in this recipe by half without affecting the texture of the cream
2 - Use room temperature ingredients. this is a quick recipe but to get a perfect texture, take the time to take out your ingredients 30 minutes before. Indeed in pastry it is important that all the ingredients have the same temperature in order to form a uniform texture and to avoid having a grainy cream
3 - Beat the butter and sugar together. Whisk these 2 ingredients together for at least 2 minutes to obtain a fuller and paler cream, the sugar should normally start to dissolve in the butter.
4 - Whip the cream. After chilling, the cream will be more compact and it is possible to mix it with a whisk to incorporate air and have a Fluffy texture.
Tips for the almond cream
- Reduce the amount of sugar by half and use a whole sugar. (coconut sugar, brown sugar etc...)
- Replace the almond powder with hazelnut powder.
- Add flour or cornstarch for a firmer texture.
- Replace butter with almond puree for a healthier version of almond cream without butter.
- Remove the eggs and replace the butter for a Vegan almond cream version.
Recipes with almond cream
Other basic pastry recipes
Don't forget to tag me @sweetlycakes on Instagram if you make this homemade almond cream filling recipe and add a link to my recipe if you share it on your blog 😉
Homemade Almond cream filling
- 100 g Butter - softened at room temperature
- 100 g Sugar
- 100 g Almond meal
- 2 eggs
- Start by placing the softened soft butter in a bowl with the powdered sugar and beat with a whisk or electric mixer until you have a smooth, homogeneous paste.
- Then add the almond powder and continue to whisk.
- Finish by adding the eggs one by one to the mixture and mix again to incorporate them and obtain a smooth cream.
- Use immediately or cover with cling film and place in the fridge.