They are very greedy and full of flavors these little cupcakes with lemon curd! Cupcakes that are easy to prepare and perfect for any occasion.
Lemon curd cupcakes are made from a soft vanilla cake base, with lemon curd fodder.
And to soften the tangy taste of lemon, a delicious and light whipped cream with mascarpone.
What is curd ?
Simply a preparation made from fruit, often lemon, orange or raspberry, a bit like a jam but with in addition to butter and eggs to get a thicker consistency.
Of English origin, the name "curd" refers to its thick texture, perfect for garnishing layer cakes, cupcakes, pie bottoms, macaroons etc...
Besides it is also a lemon curd that is used in the famous lemon pie that you can find on my blog in version lemon meringue tarts.
How to make the lemon curd cupcakes
Preparing the base for vanilla cupcakes
In a container mix together these dry ingredients, flour, baking powder and salt.
Then place the soft butter in your mixer's bowl and beat at medium speed for about 2-3 minutes.
Then stir in the powdered sugar and continue to mix for about 3 minutes, until foamy.
Add the vanilla extract, then the eggs one by one and continue to mix until smooth.
Finish by alternatively incorporating milk and dry ingredients. (flour, salt, baking powder)
And mix until smooth and homogeneous.
Cook for about 20-25 minutes each batch, at the end of the oven let cool for a few minutes before unmoulding your cupcakes.
Preparing lemon curd
First, in a container, whisk together the sugar and eggs until a frothy mixture is obtained.
Then add the juice of the squeezed lemons and mix again.
Then transfer this mixture to a saucepan over a medium heat.
And whisk non-stop until the cream thickens.
Then, off the heat add the diced butter and mix to incorporate well into the cream.
Place your lemon curd in a container with a lid and let it cool in the fridge.
Preparing whipped cream with mascarpone
First, place all the ingredients, cold whole liquid cream, as well as cold mascarpone and icing sugar in your pastry processor' bowl.
Then beat at medium speed and gradually increase the speed until you get a whipped cream, which is thick and smooth.
Keep cool until set-up.
Assembling and decorating lemon curd cupcakes
First, the center of the cupcakes must be extracted to insert the lemon curd fod.
To do this, you have to use cupcake plunger, dip it in the center of the cupcake and it will extract the heart of the cake. (see photo below)
Then garnish the center with lemon curd with a spoon or a flat spatula.
Then fill a pastry bag with Wilton's Type 1B icing or another brand with mascarpone cream.
And decorate the top of your cupcakes with a nice frosting topping and a small piece of lemon.
Keep your cupcakes cool before serving.
Lemon curd cupcakes
- 200 g flour
- 180 ml milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 118 g butter
- 3 egg white
- 150 g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract liquide
- 1 pinch salt
Lemon curd - lemon cream
- 75 g sugar
- 2 lemon - squeezed
- 60 g butter
- 2 egg
Whipped cream whipped with mascarpone
- 290 ml liquid cream - whole 30% cold mg
- 190 g mascarpone - cold
- 30 g icing sugar
Vanilla cupcakes preparation
- Preheat your oven to 350°F/175°C and line a cupcake or muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- In a bowl mix together the dry ingredients, flour, salt and baking powder.
- In the bowl of your food processor, place the butter and whisk at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Then stir in the sugar and continue mixing for another 3 minutes or so, until a frothy cream is obtained.
- Decrease the speed and add the vanilla extract, then the eggs one by one, stir after each addition, until the mixture is homogeneous.
- Then add the dry ingredients and milk alternately and mix until you get a smooth and homogeneous cake dough.
- Pour this preparation in your cupcake boxes, fill with dough to 3/4 because they will swell during baking.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes and let cool slightly before removing from the oven.
Preparation of the lemon curd - lemon cream
- In a bowl, place the sugar and eggs and beat with a whisk for a few minutes until foamy.
- Stir in the juice of the squeezed lemons and mix again for a few moments.
- Transfer this mixture to a saucepan over medium heat and stir with a whisk until the mixture thickens.
- Off the heat, add the butter cubes and mix again to incorporate them well.
- Pour the lemon curd into a container with a lid and leave to cool completely in the fridge.
Preparation of the whipped cream whipped with mascarpone
- Place all the ingredients in the bowl of your mixer or food processor.
- Beat with a whisk at medium speed, then gradually increase the speed until the cream is thick and smooth.
- Keep in a cool place until assembly.
Assembly and decoration
- Using a cupcake opener, extract the center of each cupcake.
- Fill the inside with lemon curd and smooth the surface.
- Garnish a pastry bag with mascarpone whipped cream and decorate the top of your cupcakes with a swirl.
- Keep your cupcakes in the fridge before serving.